DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Salt Flats running vid. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/eos-full-frame-sample-clips-gallery/235651-salt-flats-running-vid.html)

Derek Weiss May 19th, 2009 10:24 AM

Salt Flats running vid.

5DMII, Steadicam, a short bit of helicam.
Salt Flats on Vimeo

Matthew Roddy May 19th, 2009 10:54 AM

Some interesting and fun shots, which I think is what this forum is mostly about, so good marks there.
I would have edited it very differently, though.

Still, your camera, your shots, your rig(s) and the model are all tops.

Jon Fairhurst May 19th, 2009 11:06 AM

Nice footage. (And I liked the editing.)

Dan Brockett May 19th, 2009 11:07 AM

Nice footage Derek. How are you able to estimate focusing distances when using the 5D MKII on the Merlin? Just set it and forget it or how do you pull focus?

Dan

Oren Arieli May 19th, 2009 11:59 AM

Kudos to you for getting such a variety of shots of a single subject. Very nicely done, smooth camera/heli work and follow-focus. I got tired just watching that runner...how many miles did you make her go?

Jon Fairhurst May 19th, 2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1145440)
...I got tired just watching that runner...how many miles did you make her go?

Had a 600 mph world land speed record car blasted by her in the last scene, it would have been classic. :)

Derek Weiss May 19th, 2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1145411)
Nice footage Derek. How are you able to estimate focusing distances when using the 5D MKII on the Merlin? Just set it and forget it or how do you pull focus?

Dan

Set it and forget it. The crux was keep the wind from blowing it around too much.

Dan Chung May 19th, 2009 09:03 PM

Very nice indeed. Care to share your Merlin setup? looks like you've got it really well balanced.

Dan

Derek Weiss May 19th, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1145669)
Very nice indeed. Care to share your Merlin setup? looks like you've got it really well balanced.

Dan

With the 24-105 F4 I have:
1. Bottom-3 weights plus finishing weight
2. Mid-1 finishing weight.

Dan Chung May 19th, 2009 09:33 PM

Thanks Derek, did you find it easy to use? what kind of success rate did you have with it?

Dan

Derek Weiss May 19th, 2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1145679)
Thanks Derek, did you find it easy to use? what kind of success rate did you have with it?

Dan

This was my second day with it. It definitely takes practice, and I could have used more this day.

Dan Chung May 19th, 2009 10:19 PM

Derek, impressive. I've had my Merlin for months and I would still struggle to get results like yours while running, are you using an arm and vest too?

Dan

Derek Weiss May 19th, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1145693)
Derek, impressive. I've had my Merlin for months and I would still struggle to get results like yours while running, are you using an arm and vest too?

Dan

No vest. I wasn't running, I was leaning out of a Tahoe.

Dan Chung May 20th, 2009 01:51 AM

Ah, that explains it. The good old Tahoe, I spent the whole Iraq war driving round in the desert in a rental Tahoe, brings back memories!

Dan

Chad Jones May 20th, 2009 06:13 AM

Derek,

The video wouldn't play for me on vimeo...very interested to see it. Could you give us some specs on your remote helicam? Sounds pretty cool.

Thanks,
Chad