DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   P2 vs. Tapes and XDCAM Discs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/123530-p2-vs-tapes-xdcam-discs.html)

Ravi Kiran June 11th, 2008 01:47 PM

P2 vs. Tapes and XDCAM Discs

I'm currently researching HD cameras for a possible broadcast project, and I would like to go tapeless. Using P2 or other solid state media is appealing, but I am worried about having to constantly dump the cards to a hard drive and erase the cards. What if the hard drive gets corrupted or stolen or otherwise compromised? Would we have to carry back-up hard drives with us wherever we go? What do you think of P2 vs. XDCam discs? The discs seem like a good idea since we could just pop in new discs without worrying about offloading them.

David Heath June 11th, 2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravi Kiran (Post 891523)
What do you think of P2 vs. XDCam discs? The discs seem like a good idea since we could just pop in new discs without worrying about offloading them.

Pros and cons to each, and I wouldn't forget about SxS. The cost of the cards per GB is not much less than P2, but because they are used with a 35Mbs codec the cost/minute is 3-4 times less. (And they directly slot into modern laptops.)

A lot depends on your budget - XDCAM disc is only available on relatively expensive cameras. Big advantage is that you can shoot, hand to client, forget, and it's self archiving. Disadvantages compared to solid state are higher power consumption, requires dedicated reader/deck (or use of camera) and data transfers speeds off disc are generally slower than off solid state.

If your budget is much less, have you thought about the Z7 or S270? Simultaneous recording to tape (for archive) and Compact Flash (for cheap, fast downloading)?

With much higher budgets, the PDW700 offers a lot. Same idea of choice of recording media - but here XDCAM disc or SxS (with adaptor) - and with higher quality, full broadcast approved 50Mbs codec.

Ravi Kiran June 12th, 2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 891603)
If your budget is much less, have you thought about the Z7 or S270? Simultaneous recording to tape (for archive) and Compact Flash (for cheap, fast downloading)?

I've read about focus problems with the Z7, so I'm ruling that out for now. The S270 records HD in HDV format, which is 25mbps, correct? The cameras we're buying must record at least 35mbps.

Quote:

With much higher budgets, the PDW700 offers a lot. Same idea of choice of recording media - but here XDCAM disc or SxS (with adaptor) - and with higher quality, full broadcast approved 50Mbs codec.
I'll have to make sure the lack of 24p on the PDW700 is not a problem for us. It looks like a great camera other than that.

Dean Harrington August 19th, 2008 04:25 PM

HPX 170 with ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravi Kiran (Post 891523)
I'm currently researching HD cameras for a possible broadcast project, and I would like to go tapeless. Using P2 or other solid state media is appealing, but I am worried about having to constantly dump the cards to a hard drive and erase the cards. What if the hard drive gets corrupted or stolen or otherwise compromised? Would we have to carry back-up hard drives with us wherever we go? What do you think of P2 vs. XDCam discs? The discs seem like a good idea since we could just pop in new discs without worrying about offloading them.

a convergent design nanno/flash unit would be the way to go, me thinks! flash cards are becoming very cheap and because of their multiple uses in a wide range of products will only become cheaper! Flash 32 gig card $125 ~ XDCam discs, P2 and SXS cards will have a hard time catching up in price!

Stewart Menelaws August 20th, 2008 02:14 AM

Hi Ravi -

I did a "real working" review on the Sony F350 and XDCAM HD disc system from a "small business perspective" you may find it interesting.

Studio Scotland: Equipment Review: Sony F350 XDCAM HD

It covers all kinds of subjects and includes a fair number of pics to illustrate. In regard to workhorse reliability we were recently commissioned to film our PM Gordon Brown and the contracting agency was a bit nervous about anything going wrong. Using the XDCAM Disc system is a breeze and I have every confidence in it no matter what the subject.

Regards, Stu
www.studioscotland.com