DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   External Recording Various Topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/)
-   -   Handling data backups in the field (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/external-recording-various-topics/535866-handling-data-backups-field.html)

Hakob Hakobyan May 10th, 2018 06:17 AM

Handling data backups in the field

Dear forum members,

I do wedding trailers from time to time and my gimbal setup is 5D4 on Zhiyun gimbal.
I really like this setup as it is small and not intruding during live events and also gives really good quality results.
However, the problem is that any Canon DSLR records video to only 1 card and I am always paranoid about the card failing and me loosing the footage.

Yes, I could use my C100 as it has dual SD recording but than I would need a bigger gimbal and I don't want to go that route...
Yes, I could keep using multiple small SD cards but that doesn't seem like a permanent solution.

Now I think I have 2 options.
1) Does anyone know of any very fast and efficient way of doing backups of whats recorded to SD/CF cards on field? Maybe they sell some kind of equipment which does backing up for you and I don't need to run it through a laptop?
2) Alternatively, as 5D4 has hdmi out, maybe there is some kind of HDMI cable recorder? Something that is not even a monitor, just pure recorder to keep the size small and me have a backup file?

Anyone in same shoes as me?
How do you guys manage backing up data in the field for these people who don't have the luxury to shoot to 2 cards stimultaniously?

John Wiley May 10th, 2018 07:00 AM

Re: Handling data backups in the field

I'm not sure I understand how backing up in the field is a solution to the problem. If it's card failure you're worried about, it doesn't matter if you're backing up in the field or at home - the data is still damaged. It's not as though the card is going to "go bad" while it's sitting unused in the camera or your bag. Corruption either happens during recording or when reading from the card. Backing up during the day does nothing to minimise that risk (in fact, it might even make it higher due to being in a rush and/or putting improperly formatted cards back into the camera).

Maybe you could just change cards regularly throughout the day so that if one card does fail or get misplaced, you've at least still got the footage from the other cards?

Recording vai HDMI is a good option though, with the added benefit of giving you an external monitor that can be positioned more conveniently for gimbal use. The new Atomos Ninja V is ideal for this if you need 4K, otherwise one of the older Ninja models will do just fine for 1080p.

And, for those times when all else does fail - be sure to have a clause in your contract that states you are not liable for any damages in the event of equipment failure.

Hakob Hakobyan May 10th, 2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wiley (Post 1943931)
I'm not sure I understand how backing up in the field is a solution to the problem. If it's card failure you're worried about, it doesn't matter if you're backing up in the field or at home - the data is still damaged. It's not as though the card is going to "go bad" while it's sitting unused in the camera or your bag. Corruption either happens during recording or when reading from the card. Backing up during the day does nothing to minimise that risk (in fact, it might even make it higher due to being in a rush and/or putting improperly formatted cards back into the camera).

Maybe you could just change cards regularly throughout the day so that if one card does fail or get misplaced, you've at least still got the footage from the other cards?

Recording vai HDMI is a good option though, with the added benefit of giving you an external monitor that can be positioned more conveniently for gimbal use. The new Atomos Ninja V is ideal for this if you need 4K, otherwise one of the older Ninja models will do just fine for 1080p.

And, for those times when all else does fail - be sure to have a clause in your contract that states you are not liable for any damages in the event of equipment failure.

What you say makes sense, use multiple cards throughout the day as backing up on field will only increase chances of failures.
The alternative of using HDMI out recording to a monitor, it does seem fine but my only issue is the added weight.
The whole point is keep setup light for one-handed gimbal operation.
I already have Shotgun Inferno Monitor but its too heavy, maybe I find something lighter?
And what I meant before is I don't even need it to work as a monitor, if there is a light device that records video from HDMI out of camera and only does that and is super light that would be the ideal solution!

Mark Rosenzweig May 10th, 2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan (Post 1943934)
I already have Shotgun Inferno Monitor but its too heavy, maybe I find something lighter?
And what I meant before is I don't even need it to work as a monitor, if there is a light device that records video from HDMI out of camera and only does that and is super light that would be the ideal solution!

Yes! I do not understand why someone does not offer a recording device without a screen. The screen adds bulk and heat and uses up battery power. There are many benefits to an external recorder, but most do not need another screen.

Mark Watson May 10th, 2018 11:54 PM

BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle records via HDMI and doesn't have a screen. I have one and don't particularly care for it, but it does work. Your choices are basically ProRes or Uncompressed (big files). You will want to come up with a way to mount it before you buy it.

For field backups/data dumping, take a look at the Nexto brand storage devices. I have a couple of these and I like that they don't require a computer.

Mark

Cary Knoop May 11th, 2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1943936)
I do not understand why someone does not offer a recording device without a screen. The screen adds bulk and heat and uses up battery power. There are many benefits to an external recorder, but most do not need another screen.

I agree.

At least Atomos is now coming out with an Ninja V 5", but it still has a screen. Blackmagic will come out with a camera, planned to be available in September that records directly to a (portable) hard drive.