DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Thoughts on new FCP X Sneak Peek (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/494501-thoughts-new-fcp-x-sneak-peek.html)

Heath McKnight June 12th, 2011 11:08 AM

Re: Thoughts on new FCP X Sneak Peek

I'm guessing you need Snow Leopard to install Lion because Lion won't be a large file and will be missing certain things, making it easy to install. Just the same as I bet you'll need Final Cut Studio 3 to install FCP X, because of loops, etc.

Heath

Nigel Barker June 12th, 2011 11:38 AM

Lion is a full 4GB download much the same size as the Snow Leopard. You can apparently create a bootable disk from the download. FCP X is a brand new application there won't be any requirement to already have FCS 3 else what would all the new purchasers who have never had Final Cut before do.

James Houk June 12th, 2011 11:38 AM

I would have to assume that FCP X will come complete, with no prior FCP Studio 3 installation required or piggybacked.

However, the new software may not come with many loops... so owners of FCP Studio (1,2,3)... will likely have a distinct advantage in available loops.

With the new App store format I can easily see Apple offering ala carte loop packs, similar to Digital Juice.

Heath McKnight June 12th, 2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1657723)
Lion is a full 4GB download much the same size as the Snow Leopard. You can apparently create a bootable disk from the download. FCP X is a brand new application there won't be any requirement to already have FCS 3 else what would all the new purchasers who have never had Final Cut before do.

Nigel, thanks for the clarification.

James, I remember hearing that you could still install LiveType on your Mac even though Apple dropped it from FCS 3, pushing users to Motion.

heath

Jason Lowe June 12th, 2011 07:12 PM

More details sneaking out, mostly on color grading. Looks like Color as an app is toast

More Final Cut Pro X Screenshots Leak Ahead of Release - Mac Rumors

James Houk June 12th, 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight (Post 1657737)

James, I remember hearing that you could still install LiveType on your Mac even though Apple dropped it from FCS 3, pushing users to Motion.

heath

Of course you could. And it's very possible that Final Cut Studio users may still find some functionality in the studio applications even with Final Cut Pro X installed. To exactly what degree, we'll have to wait and see.

Floris van Eck June 13th, 2011 11:00 PM

More screenshots have been added:
http://twitpic.com/photos/MortGoldman2
No XML import (judging from the screenshots)

Nigel Barker June 13th, 2011 11:37 PM

Intriguingly the window in the disk burning screenshot is titled "Create a Blu-ray disc from your project." & the drop down menu is selecting from "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875 (AVCHD)" OR "Hard drive (Blu-ray)". Presumably without a Blu-ray drive in your Mac it creates an image of a Blu-ray disc.

Jason Lowe June 14th, 2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1658185)
Intriguingly the window in the disk burning screenshot is titled "Create a Blu-ray disc from your project." & the drop down menu is selecting from "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875 (AVCHD)" OR "Hard drive (Blu-ray)". Presumably without a Blu-ray drive in your Mac it creates an image of a Blu-ray disc.

And it looks to be the same incredibly simple menu system that the current version creates. At this point, if they got rid of the ugly black bar at the bottom of the menu screen, I'd be satisfied with this.

Not seeing any "capture" options under import from camera either.

Oliver Neubert June 14th, 2011 07:52 AM

About the when... forgot to mention that AVID is offering Mediacomposer to FCP users for 995 $... until June 17th. Maybe they know that a crossgrade won't be very attractive after FCP comes out on the 18th?
To be honest... I am tempted. There are some freelancers whose work I like who work with AVID and not FCP.

oh - the link: http://www.avid.com/US/specialoffers/fcppromotion

Heath McKnight June 14th, 2011 08:39 AM

Avid is still such a tough NLE nut to crack, in my opinion, in terms of mastering it. I know guys that float between Avid and FCP, and I have the utmost respect for them.

Heath

Floris van Eck June 14th, 2011 11:32 AM

I bet all these leaks are coming from training facilities. With a substantial release like this, I'm sure Apple wants training material to be available on day #1.

One thing I really notice is how empty the menus are. Doesn't say anything yet, but does make it look 'dumbed down'.

Heath McKnight June 14th, 2011 12:08 PM

Rumor: FCP X to debut next week on the Mac App Store?

Final Cut Pro X available on the Mac App Store next week? | 9 to 5 Mac

heath

Jason Lowe June 14th, 2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck (Post 1658337)
I bet all these leaks are coming from training facilities. With a substantial release like this, I'm sure Apple wants training material to be available on day #1.

One of the posters on one of the rumor sites (AppleInsider, I think) claimed that the complete FCP X manual has been available online "for weeks". I find this difficult to believe, as we would be seeing a lot more info than what's floating around now.

Next week sounds about right. The WWDC announcements will be off the front page of most tech sites by then.

Heath McKnight June 14th, 2011 12:27 PM

Off topic, slightly: It's amazing how massive shows like WWDC, NAB, etc., can be old news within a week or so.

I still wouldn't be surprised if FCP X debuts on June 30. It's still June, and I think Apple's done something like that in the past.

Heath