DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Thoughts on new FCP X Sneak Peek

I agree Floris, when I saw the screenshots I thought: oh no, it really seems like iMovie Pro.
But the screenshots and the specs don't do it justice when you see the presentation on Vimeo - especially part 2.

(Part 1:
Part 2:
)

The Magnetic timeline really seems like a game changer, and the one-click color matching had me impressed. I thought: isn't this feature already a bit in FCP? But then you see how it makes an almost full grade when it's matched with a very stylized clip, and my jaw went down for a moment.

I still have many many questions, and some doubts, but after seeing the demo I really felt sold and now I almost can't wait to get and use it.
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #62
Major Player

"the one-click color matching had me impressed."

Me too. But then so did the noise reduction tool demo for STP when first shown some years ago.

Unfortunately, back in the real world these tools are rarely as effective as they appear in the Apple demo's.

Even so, i'm really excited about this new FCP and shall be downloading it the day it arrives.
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #63
New Boot

Re: Final Cut X Announced At NAB

Been using FCP for 8 years now. A cheaper FCP is a good thing. We'll see how they price the rest of the FCS suite which I guess will come out in bits and pieces.

If they can fix the whole render wait thing, it'll be priceless
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #64
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
That's a pretty passive-aggressive response, don't you think?

And it is significantly lacking the ability to hold water, as far as arguments go. I've never bought a car that brought out a new model three years later for more than four-hundred percent less than I paid for the previous one.
Not really, but I suppose that's how you could have chosen to read it. Maybe if I'd littered it with unnecessary smileys? Sorry you took it the wrong way.

The point about the car was very valid. I was asking you if you'd feel the same IF that happened (which BTW it's 75% less, not 400% less ;)). IF Apple has announced the cost at $1,000 your essential premise would have been no different. $1,500 (for obsolete versions) + $1,000 = $2,500 for new software that's only worth $1,000..... Sure, the values changed, but the sentiment didn't.

Cheaper software is always good providing it delivers the tools we need and is reliable (i.e. not buggy). What it will do however is put great software in the hands of more people who are perhaps not going to use it to it's true potential, making home movies for granny etc. This 'could' devalue the brand "Final Cut Pro" in some people's eyes by thinking of it as a consumer program, even though it has pro features, whereas if it was (say) $2,250 like Avid, it may be given more respect. We'll have to see.

If I added up all the money I spent on software over the last 20-25 years that is now totally obsolete I'd probably cry.
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #65
Inner Circle

While the color matching feature might not work exactly as advertised in real life, perhaps it'll get it somewhat close, and allow further refinement in Color.

In my experience, it's hard to beat human judgement when it comes to getting color right. In fact, it's so subjective that if you put 4 experts in a room, you'll get 4 different opinions.

I'm looking forward to the changes, tho.
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #66
Major Player

Perhaps if I had gone out and bought FCS last week then I'd be annoyed that a new version was coming out and was so much cheaper. But if I'd done my research I'd have know a new version was coming. And frankly the cost of FSC is pennies anyway. It paid for itself in a few days.

What's always a worry for me is having this kind of simple yet powerful software the App store means more of my clients (mostly creative agencies in the North England), will be encouraged to try using it for themselves. And I'll start losing the little day jobs that keep me ticking over.

Still it's been going that way for a while...
Old April 14th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #67
Major Player

I am sure they said that Colour and Soundtrack Pro are included in the 299 package.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #68
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rawlings View Post
I am sure they said that Colour and Soundtrack Pro are included in the 299 package.
It's not something I inferred from the presentation, although portions of Color and STP have certainly been integrated in to FCP itself, so it remains to be seen it they are now fully integrated (so no external apps) or if they are still available as separate apps as well. The same goes for Motion.

My guess is these will all be separated in the App store and have different upgrade cycles. Take DVd Studio Pro for instance, nothing has changed in DVDs, so why not put it as a standalone app in the app store for $99 (or less!).
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #69
Sponsor: Westside AV

I was very impressed by what was shown. New ways of dealing with the timeline.

I always have preferred M100 to FCP, I use both (M100 80% of the time).

The new timeline has some of the very feature that I love about M100, but seems even better.

Of course the proof is in the shipping version. But from what I see Apple has taken some giant steps that others will have to catch up with.

This is very interesting, if FCPX does everything it promises I would say it is revolutionary.

As far as price. My first 2 NLE's cost about $30,000.00 each (a while ago). Now most cost about $1,000.00 plus hardware, another $5,000.00 or so for CPU, RAIDS, AJA/Matrox etc. So the lower price for SW and hardware does not hurt any of us. And the trend continues. Look at camera prices and capabilities compared to 20 years ago.

These are very interesting times, and I don't just mean politically.
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #70
Major Player

I do lots of extreme sport films and the speed control is HUGE for me. I hope when a clip shot 1080 30p is slowed to about 60% it's a smooth 60% and no choppy like the previous FCP and the reason why most shoot 720 60p.

I have my fingers crossed!!!
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #71
MPS Digital Studios

Re: Apple insider reports new FCP at NAB

Robin,

I've heard that for years, Avid users going to Vegas because it's so much easier to use. Well, if you come over to the Apple and Final Cut Pro, that would be awesome!!

heath
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #72
MPS Digital Studios

I posted a link to two videos from the presentation:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1638730

heath
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
"the one-click color matching had me impressed."

Me too. But then so did the noise reduction tool demo for STP when first shown some years ago.

Unfortunately, back in the real world these tools are rarely as effective as they appear in the Apple demo's.

Even so, i'm really excited about this new FCP and shall be downloading it the day it arrives.
Agreed. All I can ever seem to get their noise reduction function to do is to replace the room noise with digital noise...
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #74
Inner Circle

You guys should also look at Edius too. Lots of the demo can be reproduced with Edius and there is no rendering needed, will play almost all files native, the best multicam, and there are lots of users running on Mac hardware too if that is your PC of choice. Choose the software that fits the needs for the work flow and then use the hardware it needs. The demo maybe highlights things that are new for Apple but not for the rest of the world that has had them for a long time.

Ron Evans
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #75
MPS Digital Studios

Here's a review of Edius that I touched up last year; it's a solid NLE:

Edius 2011 - TopTenREVIEWS

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X