DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Closed Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #106
Trustee

Re: Thoughts on new FCP X Sneak Peek

Personally I really hope Apple changes there stand on Blu ray because even though Steve Jobs doesnt think I need it I do and any edit software is useless without it for me.
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #107
MPS Digital Studios

Ron,

There are a lot of professional editors using Final Cut Pro. I have been a pro editor since 1997, starting on tape-to-tape and Avid, then going to D-Vision, Premiere 5.1 and then, on my own, Final Cut Pro 1.0 in 1999. It's always worked the best for me, and the features are what I need. When my old TV station went FCP in 2002 (and dumped a cumbersome NLE), Apple was thrilled and sent many from the pro video dept. to see what we were doing.

Most companies I worked for dumped Avid and Adobe for Final Cut Pro, because they were sick of it just not working. Or, in the case of Adobe Premiere leaving Apple in 2002 (only to come back in 07), being forced to switch because they're Mac users, and guess what, they love FCP more.

I'm glad to see Apple using features seen in other apps, and introducing new ones, but I don't think Apple is any less professional than Adobe, Avid, Sony, etc.

Heath
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #108
Trustee

I stopped caring what people call "Professional" if it does what I need and has the workflow I need thats all I care about.
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #109
MPS Digital Studios

Randy, amen.

I've used all the modern NLE apps, and FCP works best for me. Whatever works for you, go for it.

heath
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #110
Inner Circle

Heath
My comments only apply to the apparent blind belief that nothing other than Apple has these features. FCPX has integrated features already available on PC programs, that was my point and it still appears to lack native file support( background renders to something to mask the issue) and no mention of disc authoring\ Bluray. Major omissions compared to the competition.

Looks like a nice program but no wonder product to anyone who has a broader view of the marketplace not trapped in a single PC platform. One needs to evaluate the software that meets the needs then get the hardware that runs it whatever that happens to be, PC, MAC, Unix box. Hardware these days is much the same for all of them being driven by Intel.

Different business needs will dictate different work flows and software requirements. I do not believe that any one program will meet all know needs ignoring the esthetics of the program that are important to most users. As time goes on edited outputs will more and more need many output forms for delivery. Bluray, SD DVD, WEB based forms etc etc. New editing programs will need to address these output requirements as well as the need to accept input from many sources from HD cameras to cell phones for basic task of editing. Hence the push for native file editing and batch outputs.

Ron Evans
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #111
MPS Digital Studios

I see your point, Ron, and I would never say FCP has all the features, and others don't. But Apple paved the way for more affordable NLEs that work. In 1999, Adobe Premiere 5.1 couldn't handle digital; I had a copy and got rid of it within months, because it didn't work right with DV.

Many of the NLEs are based on a UI from years past, and I'm glad that FCP X and Vegas Pro are pushing the UI in new directions. I'm happy Premiere Pro CS5(.5) is pushing the 64-bit envelope, while I wish Avid would stop putting out paid upgrades every 6 months. I also wish Avid would pick an NLE and run with it, instead of offering so many different versions at different prices. And the less we talk about the Mojo, the better. S-Video and RCA? Seriously?!

heath
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #112
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
My comments only apply to the apparent blind belief that nothing other than Apple has these features.
I believe that's the result of FCP folks living in a single-platform, Mac-only bubble and simply
not being aware that many of the features they're cheering about have long been available on
Windows systems. Or perhaps they are aware, and the cheers are of the "at long last!" variety.

In 1999, I edited a project using the client's Final Cut Pro system and found myself really annoyed
at having to wait for the renders -- this was especially painful for me at the time since I normally
edited on a Canopus DV Rex RT, a completely real-time system, absolutely no rendering involved.

Sorry but I can't agree that Apple paved the way for more affordable NLEs that work. What they did,
and I have tremendous respect for them for doing this, was to provide the most viable NLE solution
on the Mac platform. Despite being behind the curve relative to the capabilities of equally priced PC-
based systems -- my Canopus DV Rex RT comparison being a prime example -- they basically set
the NLE standard for editing video on a Mac.

As for myself, I will be buying FCP X the day it's released. I use both Mac and PC systems and can't
wait to get my hands on the new Final Cut.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #113
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
My comments only apply to the apparent blind belief that nothing other than Apple has these features. FCPX has integrated features already available on PC programs, that was my point and it still appears to lack native file support( background renders to something to mask the issue) and no mention of disc authoring\ Bluray. Major omissions compared to the competition.
Indeed Ron. As someone who has been using FCP exclusively for the past decade (I haven't taken time out to see what's happening elsewhere) I found this blog useful:

New FCP X is really Not SoNew - Journal - mikejones.tv

Well, at least FCP is back in the field. What happens with Motion is of primary interest to me. I would love to see some of Motion's everyday functionality (optical flow retiming, decent titling) built into FCP. For more complex tasks I use AE anyway.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #114
Inner Circle

I agree with you on Premiere I stuck with it until CS4 mainly for Encore though was transitioning to Edius and always had Sound Forge and Vegas for audio before it did video !!!! . Main editor for me now is Edius 5.5 and 6.02 with Vegas 10 doing all the audio and DVD Architect 5.2 Bluray authoring for now. TMPGenc Authorworks is being used a little because of its good Bluray implementation and is easier/faster than Encore and fuller implementation than DVD Architect.

All my projects are 3 and 4 camera shows and that is why I use Edius for its excellent multicam implementation with native file support and realtime editing. Cameras range from EX3, FX1, NX5U and range of small Sony AVCHD cams. With occasional 5D and 7D files too. All go straight on the timeline.

Ron Evans
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Or perhaps they are aware, and the cheers are of the "at long last!" variety.
That's what I was clapping for.

Working in the L.A. area I know a lot of pro editors, none of whom are living in a bubble.

The comments I hear are just relief that Apple is catching up on some features, adding some new ones and doing so at an affordable price.
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #116
MPS Digital Studios

Chris: I agree with you completely, and I never thought of that until around 2005 when Spot and I went on that HDV Road Show, and I saw what Vegas Pro was doing (rendering, while batch capturing, while editing a third project, all at once). For me, it's definitely "Yes, about time!" with some of the features.

Josh: Thanks for the link; I'm gonna check it out while I render a project (ahhhh, FCP X, you can't come fast enough).

Ron: All my audio guys realized in 2003, 2004 that they'd have to learn how to edit video, due to budget cuts, along with sound, and gravitated to Vegas Pro. Throw in Cineform (at the time), and you were capturing great video. Vegas Pro started out exactly that way -- audio guys needing to edit video, so they developed it. I have only "flirted" with Edius.

You know what's a good NLE? SpeedEDIT: NewTek SpeedEDIT™

And I thought MAGIX was cool, the few minutes I spent with it. Check out this review: MAGIX Video Pro X 2011 - TopTenREVIEWS

Heath
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #117
MPS Digital Studios

Kirk,

I wish I could "Like" your comment (a la Facebook); that's pretty dead-on how I feel. At home, I have copies of Vegas Pro 10, Avid MC 4.5, FCP 7 and Premiere Pro CS5. Every single one of them have features (or UI, in the case of Apple) that I dig, so I'm glad Apple is bringing a lot of them into the new version of FCP.

heath
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #118
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
That's what I was clapping for.

Working in the L.A. area I know a lot of pro editors, none of whom are living in a bubble.

The comments I hear are just relief that Apple is catching up on some features, adding some new ones and doing so at an affordable price.
Now I understand the clapping and cheering.

Josh, I thought that link was good too. We Edius users are always saying it's not well know and even in that list it wasn't mentioned once yet can actually do almost all of the FCPX demo other than the one click color correction. Even arrange the windows to look the same!!!! Though the main attribute of Edius is cutting speed. Put anything directly on the timeline edit and output without rendering with everything done at full resolution viewable on a full external monitor. Audio in V6 is much better but no match for Vegas which as Heath has said started life as a DAW anyway.

Ron Evans
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #119
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
You know what's a good NLE? SpeedEDIT: NewTek SpeedEDIT™
I rode the plane home with those guys. Great crew. The brand's certainly been around for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I wish I could "Like" your comment (a la Facebook)
We're thinking about that. And / or a "Thanks" button.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #120
MPS Digital Studios

Chris,

I hung out with the NewTek guys during NAB 2008. After a very long day, their booth was an oasis, and I was able to sit and relax, while checking out a ton of great software. Wonderful team!

Heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X