DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Fallout from todays FCP screen cap leaks. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497166-fallout-todays-fcp-screen-cap-leaks.html)

Bill Davis June 14th, 2011 04:07 PM

Fallout from todays FCP screen cap leaks.

Apple insider just posted a "cease and desist" letter aimed to stop the public distribution of the flurry of screen grabs of the new FCP-X interface that were leaked earlier today.

I know we're all HUNGRY for info on the new software.

Then a few hours after the leak, someone sussed out that the grabs came out as the result of a "hack" of the servers used by Ripple Training - an Apple Contractor working on training materials for the new software.

I should admit right up front that I have a personal bias in all this.

I've known Steve Martin, Ripple's founder since the early days of FCP. I know him to be a honest and honorable person. The C&D letter notes that someone hacked a server and ripped these screen caps from a program he's working on under contract with and WITH PERMISSION from Apple.

The point of all this is that we sometimes think it's just a big GAME to try to be first to sniff out insider info about this stuff. And I'm as guilty as the next guy of the desire to be "in the know" about the leading edge of stuff - particularly FCP stuff. But real people are underneath this with real reputations worth protecting.

I had a pretty long conversation with Steve at the NAB release of FCP-X - an event where I was allowed by Apple and my friends on the SuperGroup staff to play a small role in presenting the meeting. During that entire time, Steve was ABSOLUTELY close-mouthed about ANYTHING having to do with FCP-X - even tho in hindsight, he was obviously already working with the early versions of the product.

In other words, he kept to HIS part of the ND agreements scrupulously in all his conversations with me.

Now some hack has figured that their need for momentary fame and to feel like a "big player" is more important than honoring fundamental concepts like workplace privacy and individual copyrights.

Most of us here are content creators of one fashion or another.

If someone did to you - or to me - what they've done to Steve, I'd be pissed.

I'm glad that the story of the content theft is getting out - and that Steve's reputation will (and should) remain solid.

Sorry for the rant, but in our rush to know everything we can as fast as we can, there are real consequences for some people when trusts are violated. And I felt compelled to note that in the public discussions of this.

FWIW.

David Knaggs June 14th, 2011 04:52 PM

Re: Fallout from todays FCP screen cap leaks.

I agree with you 100%, Bill.

I'm not even going to buy FCP X until Steve releases his training on it. I don't want any downtime fumbling around with a new app in my business. Steve's training always "cuts to the chase" and focuses on the truly important features to turn out a polished editing product.

While it's great to hear that Steve is well-advanced in his preparation of the new FCP X training, thanks to Apple generously providing pre-release access to the leading trainers (Steve, Larry Jordan, etc.), it really sucks that some "hero" hacker tries to spoil the party, as you said. There's been way too much FUD spread about this new application as it is.

Liam Hall June 15th, 2011 10:54 AM

Re: Fallout from todays FCP screen cap leaks.

Given the way Apple have handled the prerelease of FCPX it was always going to be a target for hackers and whilst I think hackers are a PITA, I don't think it's the end of the world to have a few leaked pictures the week before FCPX is released. It's good PR for Apple and great advertising for Ripple - even if they didn't intend it to be.