DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   No Canon XF file import to FCP X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497461-no-canon-xf-file-import-fcp-x.html)

Mark Dobson June 21st, 2011 01:12 PM

No Canon XF file import to FCP X?

Anybody know how to import Canon XF files into FCP X? Just doesn't seem to want to know.

Will we need a new driver or shall we resort to using MPEG Steamclip to transcode into Pro-Res until a solution is found?

I've installed FCP X on my Laptop. Buying from the app store is an experience that mirrors the inflexibility of many aspects of automated modern life.

You don't get to download to your desktop or downloads folder. As soon as you press purchase it starts installing.

So to cut a long story short it over installed over my current version of FCP 7 and as I had anticipated would not recognise FCP 7 projects.

So I've reinstalled FCP 7 by renaming it FCP rather than Final Cut Pro. So I guess before I install it on my main MacPro I will rename the version thats on there.

Final Cut Pro pundits say it is very good but I fear that many pro editors will find FCP X a step too far in terms of the difference from the current version and it's lack of support for I/O devices and no facility for external monitoring on a standalone calibrated monitor.

So i'd be glad to hear if anybody knows how to import XF Files into FCP X.

Chris Hurd June 21st, 2011 01:25 PM

Re: No Canon XF file import to FCP X?

Moved from Canon XF to Final Cut Suite.

Previous installations of FCP 7 / FCS 3 aren't overwritten by FCP X.
There should be a new "Final Cut Studio" folder in your applications
directory and the previous versions should still be there.

Tim Dashwood June 21st, 2011 02:13 PM

On the FCP X site it says Canon XF format is supported with "additional software."
Apple - Final Cut Pro X - System Requirements and Tech Specs

This could simply mean that the media has to be transcoded first with Canon's XF Utility or maybe there will be a forthcoming plugin from Canon that works with FCP X?

I have XF Utility open in front of me and frankly I can't figure out how it works or the terminology. Virtual Media? I have a lot of footage shot with XF105 so I will test this out.

Larry Cohen June 21st, 2011 04:09 PM

Wow! Thank you Mark for your initial observations. They EXACTLY mirror some of my initial thoughts. For something THIS important (and radical) I would be sure to clone my Mac and then download and install . . . just in case!

But you've mentioned some marvelous input. I'd sure to love reading what others have to say!
Thanks you,

Oh, here's an interesting question. We put all the elements of FCPro 7 (FCPro, Compressor, COLOR, Motion, Apple QMaster, etc) - we put them all in one folder we created named FCPro folder. So they're NOT just in the Applications folder - they're in a folder IN the Applications folder! I wonder if you had done that - maybe FCPro X wouldn't "know" to overwrite 7? Hmmm . . . I forget, do you need 7 to even install X?

Larry

Tim Dashwood June 21st, 2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Cohen (Post 1660308)
Oh, here's an interesting question. We put all the elements of FCPro 7 (FCPro, Compressor, COLOR, Motion, Apple QMaster, etc) - we put them all in one folder we created named FCPro folder. So they're NOT just in the Applications folder - they're in a folder IN the Applications folder! I wonder if you had done that - maybe FCPro X wouldn't "know" to overwrite 7? Hmmm . . . I forget, do you need 7 to even install X?

You must have missed the 2nd post above. Installing FCP X automatically moves your FCS apps into a folder within Applications called Final Cut Studio. It DOES NOT OVERWRITE your existing version of FCP.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...reorganize.png

Tim Dashwood June 21st, 2011 06:12 PM

By the way, I successfully converted XF media into MXF files using XF Utility but was unsuccessful at importing them into FCP X.
I'll keep looking into this.

Mark Dobson June 22nd, 2011 02:04 AM

Thanks for letting me know that installing FCP X automatically moves your FCS apps into a folder within Applications called Final Cut Studio.

Yes the folder is down at the bottom of the Applications list. Duh!

More haste less speed.

At the moment there seems no solution for importing Canon XF files in FCP X directly.

My workaround until it's sorted will be to import it into FCP 7 as pro res and then import into FCP X from the folder.

I look forward to hearing how others are coping with this issue.

There is a huge interest in this new software. Larry Jordan had 1.2 million hits on his site and is advising people to leave it a day before buying his $99 training package.

Ken Stone has a free FCP X overview written by Steve Martin of Ripple Training (+ipad version)

Ripple Training are offering a $39 FCP X training package.

I'll probably buy both packages as FCP X is profoundly different from FCP 7.

Erik Norgaard June 27th, 2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dobson (Post 1660476)
At the moment there seems no solution for importing Canon XF files in FCP X directly.

Have you tried to reinstall the Canon XF utility? IIRC installing the utility installs the plugin for FCP, I would assume reinstalling would install the plugin for FCPX.

BR, Erik