DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Former Shake product designer blogs about Apple and FCP X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497803-former-shake-product-designer-blogs-about-apple-fcp-x.html)

Pete Cofrancesco July 1st, 2011 11:30 PM

Re: Former Shake product designer blogs about Apple and FCP X

Let's not turn this into Mac vs PC debate. The subject is about Apple replacing a pro app with a souped up consumer one because its a more profitable. People are falling into two camps: ones who didn't use the pro features that were dropped are happy with this iMovie "pro" version, and people who relied on those features are pissed off. Its also not debatable that lack of any reasonable upgrade path for existing users for a pro app is down right unprofessional.

Brian Drysdale July 2nd, 2011 12:59 AM

Having done a quick check, according to Apple there appears to be 1.8 million paid installations of FCP worldwide, plus I'd assume a good percentage of pirate copies. Given that number, I suspect most users don't actaully need or use the high end features that many professionals need. What the gadget man factor or installations that don't get much use would be hard to tell, but I suspect many only have occasional use, while others are work horses in regular use.

Apple claim to have a 51% share of the professional NLE market.

Mike Marriage July 2nd, 2011 06:15 AM

Yes, Apple can make more money from iPhones than FCP in the current market, however, FCP still appears to be a very profitable software line for them, so it would not make business sense to screw it up.

Shake was a VERY different piece of software, with a tiny number of seats compared to FCP. I guess Apple wanted the technology or patents that came with the deal, not the piece of software itself. I don't think it is a good comparison.

As the App Store has shown, selling to the masses at a low cost is a very effective way to make money with low overheads. Mass markets always bring prices down and are good for consumers.

However, IMHO Apple have made one key error by pronouncing FCP X as the second coming and actually delivering something which instead removes important features from previous versions. If they always planned to add them, they should have said that at the launch. Professional editors are not stupid Apple fanboys who will swallow anything Apple release. We are, on the whole, more rational.

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs and I understand that sometimes radical change is needed to move on. I think we are all happy to adjust to a new GUI if it is an improvement, however, we don't like taking a backwards step in other critical departments (Multicam, Audio, disc export).

FCP editors are going to have to learn a new GUI whatever happens. If Apple want it to be FCP X, they need to start communicating with us to let us now exactly where FCP X is heading.

Les Wilson July 2nd, 2011 09:06 AM

In case anyone missed it this past Wednesday:
Apple - Final Cut Pro X - Answers to common questions.