DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Adobe offers 50% off CS5.5 to Final Cut Pro customers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/497934-adobe-offers-50-off-cs5-5-final-cut-pro-customers.html)

Gary Bettan July 14th, 2011 02:25 PM

Re: Adobe offers 50% off CS5.5 to Final Cut Pro customers

You can order the Adobe promotion directly from Videoguys. for $849. No special code required

Make the switch to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium at Videoguys.com and save 50%

We also have some fantastic bundles with blu-ray burner, Matrox & AJA I/O and training.

Gary

Steve Kalle July 14th, 2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Bettan (Post 1667197)
You can order the Adobe promotion directly from Videoguys. for $849. No special code required

Make the switch to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium at Videoguys.com and save 50%

We also have some fantastic bundles with blu-ray burner, Matrox & AJA I/O and training.

Gary

Thanks Gary for the info and keep up the good work!

I know you will disagree but I highly suggest staying away from Matrox products for use with Adobe because I have had bad experience after bad experience with their Mini and its software, not to mention Matrox's flat out lie about their color calibration tool.

However, I highly recommend Aja and partially recommend BlackMagic Design's Decklink Extreme 3D as I have several of these cards in 2 computers. Two are in a server for broadcast playout and one is in my HP Z800 but I am going to remove it soon and replace with an Aja Kona due to issues with Premiere Pro CS5 causing PPro to hang. One of my favorite features with the BM and Kona and Premiere is being able to play out to my monitor using only the little thumbnail at the top of the project window rather than having to open it into the Source window. However, BM's software is not great and I continually have lockups when doing this.

Also, I sometimes have issues with BM preset sequences so I use my custom sequences and BM still works, although partially. What I do is open the current sequence into the Source window, which still plays out to my monitor and then I gang source to program.

Marcus Durham July 14th, 2011 04:18 PM

Just gone and made the jump. A whole heap of money out of the bank account but at least it's half price.

Steve Kalle July 14th, 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Knaggs (Post 1664139)
Thanks, Steve. But I would never buy a Matrox product again after my experience with the Matrox MXO.

Hence my question about whether it's possible to hook up a NVIDIA card externally through Thunderbolt.

Anybody know?

Good news is that Sony is the first to release an external GPU connected thru LightPeak aka Thunderbolt to work with their VAIO Z series. However, Sony's Z pricing is a bit high, BUT this shows that manufacturers understand that a market exists for external GPUs via LP/TB.

Chris Barcellos July 15th, 2011 01:09 AM

Having been a prior user of Premiere, and still owning my Premiere Pro 2.0 program, I tried to go the upgrade path for CS5.5, hoping after that to get half off the upgrade price. I took it all the way down to the last button, but was never given the opportunity to enter the "switch" code.

Marcus Durham July 15th, 2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1667338)
Having been a prior user of Premiere, and still owning my Premiere Pro 2.0 program, I tried to go the upgrade path for CS5.5, hoping after that to get half off the upgrade price. I took it all the way down to the last button, but was never given the opportunity to enter the "switch" code.

When I ordered mine last night it was a small box in the final shopping cart before you press order. That was the UK store though.

Nice to see Adobe offered me physical media option (which I have ordered). Not everyone lives in a glass dome in Cupertino with a fibre connection

Pete Bauer July 15th, 2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1667338)

My understanding is that you have to choose one or the other path, an upgrade from a previous version of Adobe software, OR a full version purchase using the switch code to cross-grade from FCP. Looking at PPro on the Adobe site, the price is $399 for either path.

Chris Barcellos July 15th, 2011 10:01 AM

My upgrade path from Premiere Pro 2.0, to CS 5.5 was $ 1,099.00. I was hoping 50% off would apply to that. I do want to get into After Effects, so that is why I was looking to go that route.

Nigel Barker July 15th, 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1667414)
My upgrade path from Premiere Pro 2.0, to CS 5.5 was $ 1,099.00. I was hoping 50% off would apply to that. I do want to get into After Effects, so that is why I was looking to go that route.

Chris you appear eligible for the VideoGuys 50% $849 offer as it says

If you own any version of Apple Final Cut Pro or Avid Media Composer - or you have an existing copy of Adobe Premiere, Premiere Pro, After Effects or a CS3 Design, Web or Production Suite - you qualify for 50% off the full version of Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium for Mac or Windows...

Pete Bauer July 15th, 2011 11:48 AM

So it sounds like what you want to do is upgrade from that very old version of PPro to the current Production Suite Premium? So yeah, looks like through the Adobe store it would be the $1099 you quote, which I know isn't chump change for us small business and hobbyist types. But it is still $600 off the regular price, not to mention special deals like Videoguys.

I think once you've made the leap and gotten up and running, you'll feel that it was good value for dollar. As I've said before, Adobe has had their low points but they're sitting high on the mountain now. From being ready to jump ship some years ago -- as many of the FCP folks are now doing -- I'm extremely pleased with CS5 and 5.5.

Chris Barcellos July 16th, 2011 04:45 PM

What I am actually looking to do is incorporate After Effects in my Vegas workflow, and I was hoping that by use of my prior purchase of Premiere Pro 2 and this offer, I could afford to to it.

Frankly, after further testing of the Premiere workflow edit process in the latest trial version ( which really hasn't changed a lot since Pro 2) I don't want to leave Vegas. However, having the whole suite on board for special needs at half price is very alluring, and something I am still considering.

Steve Kalle July 16th, 2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1667723)
What I am actually looking to do is incorporate After Effects in my Vegas workflow, and I was hoping that by use of my prior purchase of Premiere Pro 2 and this offer, I could afford to to it.

Frankly, after further testing of the Premiere workflow edit process in the latest trial version ( which really hasn't changed a lot since Pro 2) I don't want to leave Vegas. However, having the whole suite on board for special needs at half price is very alluring, and something I am still considering.

Hi Chris,

Because you want to use AE, I really believe that you would find the Premiere and AE combo to be far more satisfying that a Vegas + AE combo due to Dynamic Link and not needing to render your AE comps. Just yesterday, I spent about 2 hours updating a single Photoshop PSD, then opening AE and seeing the PSD file automatically updated in AE and then updating 25 comps which use this PSD and its layers, and then automatically seeing the updated AE comps in Premiere. Without Adobe's great integration between its programs and Dynamic Link, this entire process would have taken me all day rather than 2 hours.

Once you start using Dynamic Linked AE comps in Premiere, you find yourself using this feature more and more, and it adds value to projects because you can do more, experiment with more looks faster and easier and create better animations, grade better (as AE is a powerful grading tool) and make better titles.

Mathieu Ghekiere July 16th, 2011 05:22 PM

Does anyone know if a US license will work in Europe, and it will install updates fine? (Not upgrades, updates)

Thanks,

David Knaggs July 17th, 2011 10:47 PM

Are there specific video tutorials on "PPro for FCP editors"? I noticed that there is a set of Avid tutorials called "Avid Media Composer for Final Cut Pro Users". Does anyone know if there's something similar for PPro?

Of particular interest to me would be tutorials on how to import your FCP keyboard shortcuts into PPro plus any differences in the basic workaday features (3 way color corrector, adjusting sound levels, etc.). I know that lynda.com has PPro training to take you from the start. But I was also wondering if there were PPro tutorials anywhere which are specific to FCP editors. Thanks.

Bart Walczak July 18th, 2011 12:57 AM

Adobe Premiere Pro Tutorial Videos - Final Cut Pro To Adobe Premiere Pro Tips| PhotoshopSupport.com