DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Basic set up questions. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/499807-basic-set-up-questions.html)

Barry Uddstrom August 20th, 2011 07:47 PM

Basic set up questions.

I have had a additional Boot Drive installed on my computer and all the applications and files copied over to it.
I now have two Boot Drives on the same computer.
Before I down load the new Final Cut X should I remove (Trash) Final Cut Pro, Compressor and Motion on this new Boot Drive?
By removing Final Cut on the new drive, will this leave the Final Cut on my other original smaller Boot drive intact?
If this is the case do I also remove Color, Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio Pro on the new drive also?
These I guess are basic things but not being a computer expert or able to find a similar topic here I thought I would ask for some advise first.
My Scratch disc is a separate drive on my computer so I guess I keep all scratch disc files on the same scratch disc?
My Mac Pro has had all the latest updates etc.
Both Boot Drives have Snow Leopard.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Harry Christensen August 21st, 2011 08:10 AM

Re: Basic set up questions.

I would not trash FCP or motion or compress. They will all run on the same operating system and there are still things that 7 does that X does not. I suspect that will change but for now I have both and I am doing my paying work on 7. I am getting close to taking the plunge but for now I use 7. I definately see advantages of X, the file organization is very handy. Once I am comfortable with X I will be working with it more, but I don't forsee getting rid of 7 for a long time yet.

PS: I am running on Lion now.

Barry Uddstrom August 21st, 2011 03:09 PM

Thanks Harry for your reply, but I was not going to trash FCP7 altogether as it would be left on the original boot drive. As I also have projects still to be finished.
Only trash the copy on the 2nd or other new boot drive on the same computer.

So if I was wanting to use FCP7 I would reboot my system back up onto the original boot drive and if I wanted to use FCP-X I would again reboot my system back up onto the new Boot drive which has the new FCP-X on.
Its just when the new additional boot drive was put into my computer everything was copied over to it ,so I have ended up with two identical boot drives, one of which I want to put FCP-X .

What I want to know is what I should remove from the 2nd boot drive before I instal FCP-X on the 2nd boot drive.
The way I understand it its not the best to have both FCP7 & FCP-X on the same Boot drive, even though I understand some have done that, just its not the optimum way.

Thanks agin.

David Chapman August 21st, 2011 03:43 PM

Hey Barry, I actually wouldn't worry about removing the old FCS on your 2nd boot drive. FCPX should have moved all of Final Cut Studio info a folder so they aren't spread out all over your apps folder. I have been running FCP7 and X together on the same boot drive for months now and everything is fine.

I have heard many people are having problems with their OS, not FCPX necessarily. I made sure I did a clean install of Lion before installing anything. I do that with every OS though, and usually wipe and clean every 6months to a year.

Michael Liebergot August 21st, 2011 04:06 PM

David I thought that you weren't able to install FCS3 (FCP7) on a clean install of Lion, due to needing Rosetta to perform the install of FCS3.
If one were to do an archive install, then you're able to reinstall FCS3, because Rosetta would still be on your system.

Am I correct or wrong in this assumption.

David Chapman August 24th, 2011 03:58 PM

Michael, FCP7 doesn't need Rosetta to run. That's just PPC apps that need Rosetta. I think some applications need the Java Runtime to be installed. If you go to the Utilities folder and select the Java app, it will download and install automatically.

Barry Uddstrom August 25th, 2011 02:55 PM

Just to let you know what I decided to do, I trashed Final Cut 7 on the new boot drive also Motion and Compressor, but have left Color, Sountrack Pro and DVD Studio Pro.
Could not see any reason to keep it on the new drive as it is still installed on the original smaller boot drive.
Just got to download some tutorials then Final Cut X, Motion & Compressor on my slow broadband.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advise.