DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   FCPX is killing my Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/504543-fcpx-killing-my-mac.html)

Morten Carlsen March 4th, 2012 05:50 AM

Re: FCPX is killing my Mac

Hi There,

I have been messing about with FCP X since its release. I have been on Lion since its release.
I loved the apps since its release but wasnt using it much since its release ;-)

Too much slowness and jerky playback. And that although I have a Mac Pro with dedicated graphics, 32GB RAM, RAID0 with 500+ MB/s Read/Write.

In fact all the folks I know run FCP X with Lion. It works but it is slow and playback is always somehow stuttering. Skimming is not really fluid.

About a week ago, I was working on a Snow Leopard setup (Macbook Pro with only 4GB of RAM) and FCP X was yielding great performance with that setup.

So, the next day, I booted my Video-Mac (above specs) into Snow Leopard and launched FCPX. Performance was increased by at least 400%...

So now I am on Snow Leopard. And I am using FCP X and it is amazing.

On Lion, in my experience, the app is unuseable

William Hohauser March 5th, 2012 12:22 PM

I was having slowdown problems with the latest FCPX version until I noticed that the CPUs were not being activated much despite the slow downs and the screen saver was extremely jerky during lengthy exports. The solution (not cheap) was to upgrade my very old and bottom of the line Nvidia GT120 video board with a $450 ATI 5870 board. Now FCPX and Lion work great and exports are much faster. Something in the FCPX update changed since I didn't have the slowdowns before but I am happy with the new video board anyway as the exports are significantly faster.

Justin Molush March 5th, 2012 02:37 PM

I know I am coming into this thread a bit late, but thought I would offer my 2 cents...

Are you sure you mac can only take 4GB of ram? I bought my MBP around the same time and my first order of business was to put 8GB of ram in it (which was rather cheap btw) and it works like a dream. Last I heard, FCPX's background rendering had a memory leak issue which would tax the system more and more the longer the application was running - I would hope that would be fixed by now though (which I now see was mentioned in the thread already!).

The processor is more than fine for video editing - confirm that you can't go above 4GB, that seems like a very low amount for a 64 bit OS unless it is an unnecessary hardware limitation that Apple imposed on the iMacs.

As for video cards, on iMacs, I believe they are integrated so un-upgradable. On MacPros they are separate ATI cards in a PCI-E slot.

Caleb Reynolds March 5th, 2012 05:50 PM

Hello!

I have no problems running FCPX. EXCEPT for minor ones: drops a frame or two at most during playback on the timeline. Importing footage into Motion 5 which I just did today for the first time seems trivial, but that is probably because I don't know the shortcuts for that yet.

Footage: 1080p 25fps from a Kodak Playtouch AND 720p 60fps from HVX200 off loaded from a P2 card.

The HVX footage alltogether is about 30min with some general in and outs on the clips

2011 MBP 750gig 7200rpm hd, 4g ram. Also all the footage is on a Little Big Disk TB drive.