DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Bizarre FCPX Multiclip behavior (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/505667-bizarre-fcpx-multiclip-behavior.html)

Todd Mizomi February 28th, 2012 11:40 PM

Bizarre FCPX Multiclip behavior

1 Attachment(s)
Running FCPX10.0.3 on a dual quad Mac Pro with 10GB Ram. Working with optimized ProRes media converted from an XF100 and an XA10. System drive is an SSD, Footage is on a 2TB SATA(7200) in internal bay 2.

Tried editing what was SUPPOSED to be a simple 2 camera wedding ceremony using FCPX's new multicam feature. Since FCPX can handle up 64 camera angles, just 2 should be simple right?????? Ya Sure.

Edited the multiclip ceremony cutting between both cameras, everything seemed fine. Played the ceremony through twice before I went to bed - everything looked and played fine. There were still some background renderings (broadcast color filters applied) that needed to be done, so I let it run overnight. Nothing else was running on the machine at the time, and I am the only user of this computer.

Came back in the morning, and for some reason, FCPX took EVERY instance where I had cut back to my main camera angle, squeezed it, flipped it 180 degrees and moved it into the upper right of the frame leaving 3/4 of the playback screen black. I checked the info tab, but all the positioning was set to normal. No keyframes of any kind were set. When I open the multiclip itself to view the individual video tracks, everything is normal. But going back to the timeline it keeps showing that angle flipped and repositioned.

Tried trashing preferences, reinstalling FCPX, etc. nothing resolved the problem. Basically had to start over and reedit in Premiere.

Any ideas anyone?

Mike Marriage February 29th, 2012 04:52 AM

Re: Bizarre FCPX Multiclip behavior

Have you emailed Apple? May be worth mentioning that you are currently posting this on several internet forums to try and find the answer...that made speed them up slightly!

Todd Mizomi February 29th, 2012 07:20 AM

I've posted this question in the Apple Support Forums as well, hoping that someone will have an answer.

William Hohauser February 29th, 2012 09:13 PM

Do the 2 different camera files have the same properties (image size, frame rate)? Does this clip behave this way on a non-multiclip timeline when edited with other clips? How was the footage optimized? Thru FCPX import or another program? My experience as been with footage that has been optimized thru Compressor to the same sizes and frame rates so FCPX has little to figure out. I wonder how my 720p and 1080p shoot next month will work out.

Todd Mizomi March 1st, 2012 12:43 AM

Footage optimized to ProRes 422 using FCPX import. Both clips are 1080 24P.
The clips are fine by themselves.

No keyframing had been done, and no crossfades or anything, just straight cuts between the 2 camera angles and some minor color correction. I played the multiclip back before going to bed and it played back fine without any problems. It was only after it was left to finish the background render overnight that the odd behavior happened.

William Hohauser March 1st, 2012 08:41 AM

That's curious. Not to add to your problems, but you might experiment with turning background rendering off and exporting a multi cam switch as a QuickTime file to see if it happens there. I rarely have background rendering on and all my exports have been fine.

Ben Fullerton March 1st, 2012 11:58 AM

That's super weird. I've never had any such issues, or any issues at all with the new multicam. Sorry that's of little help. Hope apple can help you figure it out!