DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   moving FCP X project/event locations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/507884-moving-fcp-x-project-event-locations.html)

Philip Fass May 18th, 2012 11:11 AM

moving FCP X project/event locations

I have my FCP X projects on one internal Mac Pro drive, and events on another. I'm going to take those out, replace with much larger HDs, and mount the old ones when I need to with an OWC Voyager dock.

My question is: can I just use the Finder to copy the Projects and Events folders to the new drives, or do I have to go through FCP to move everything? I'm guessing it depends on whether FCP stores some ID info of the specific drives in its database.

Thanks.

William Hohauser May 18th, 2012 12:49 PM

Re: moving FCP X project/event locations

That will work but it would be better to move the files by choosing the project and check the choice to move the associated Event folder.

Mathieu Ghekiere May 18th, 2012 06:51 PM

I have done it in the Finder, copy things, and it didn't went wrong.

If you place it in the Root folder of a new drive again, and your media is in the same place (and you can relink anyway since the 10.0.3 update), you shouldn't have any problem.

That being said, Apple recommends doing it via FCP X itself, and I can imagine why. A bit more 'sure' that the software will copy anything it needs correctly.

Nick Gordon May 19th, 2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fass (Post 1733961)
I have my FCP X projects on one internal Mac Pro drive, and events on another. I'm going to take those out, replace with much larger HDs, and mount the old ones when I need to with an OWC Voyager dock.

My question is: can I just use the Finder to copy the Projects and Events folders to the new drives, or do I have to go through FCP to move everything? I'm guessing it depends on whether FCP stores some ID info of the specific drives in its database.

Thanks.

It's more about the fact that FCPX project files contain location info for the event files (and any other files that might be references, like still image files). As others have said, it is ppssible in Finder, but just as easy and safer in FCPX

Ron Priest May 19th, 2012 03:46 PM

Yep, if you don't do it within FCPX, then you will have to relink your files simply because you will be copying them to a drive with a new name then the original. Well... that's what happen to me anyway after creating a new RAID0 and copying the files from the original drive to the new RAID. Unless Im mistaking, you will have to do it outside of FCPX because you won't be able to run 2 drives with the same name at the same time.... right?