DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Recommend me some FCP X online training (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/510497-recommend-me-some-fcp-x-online-training.html)

Nigel Barker September 6th, 2012 10:54 AM

Recommend me some FCP X online training

Normally my wife does all the editing & I concentrate on what I like & am best at i.e. operating the cameras & the technical side of the business. However we have wound up with quite an editing backlog & I need to help out at the very least by doing some triage & rough cutting. I am not totally clueless when it comes to NLEs as I do know enough to get footage in & out of FCP7 & Premiere apply effects & do rudimentary editing. However if I am really going to knuckle down & learn how to do it properly I would rather learn FCP X basically because everyone that I hear using it successfully says how much easier & faster it is than using FCP 7 or Premiere Pro.

The preamble above is a rather long-winded way of building up to my question of what online training materials can people recommend? Free is nice but I don't mind paying either if the quality is good. As I am not a proper dyed in the wool editor I don't really have anything to unlearn or any bad editing habits so I don't need anything that is going to constantly compare FCP X to FCP 7 or any other editor.

William Hohauser September 6th, 2012 03:30 PM

Re: Recommend me some FCP X online training

Try Larry Jordan: The Best Training in Final Cut Pro

A nice guy and the best FCPX training I've had so far.

Simon Wood September 6th, 2012 04:20 PM

I used Ripple Training to learn; it had me up and running in a day (and once you get to grips with the X workflow you never look back).

Jordan Hooper September 7th, 2012 11:56 AM

I've tried the Larry Jordan tuts but I find him hard to pay attention to. This is just my personal opinion based on the style that works for me but I don't like the amount of time he spends explaining things while reading the words of a power point slide. The pacing is too slow for me and I prefer to see things in action.

I'd recommend looking at Lynda dot com tutorials.

Final Cut Pro X Essential Training | Video Tutorial from lynda.com

You can preview some of the episodes and they also have multiple trainers to watch, including Larry Jordan.

Michael Wisniewski September 7th, 2012 01:00 PM

This is a good basic and free introduction.
Final Cut Pro X Tutorial, Web-Based and Totally Free! | Izzy Video

And if you search YouTube for MacBreak Studio, you'll find a ton of free videos by Mark Spencer and Steve Martin of Ripple Training.

I found FCP X simple enough that the free videos online got me kick started pretty fast.

Nigel Barker September 8th, 2012 01:14 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had seen most of the recommendations at some time or other but of course couldn't find them again when I needed them. It's nice for me & others to have them all collected here in one thread.

Now we have sorted out the video tutorials does anyone have recommendations for a book? Online is good but I do like to have something to read while relaxing in the bath & I don't trust myself to keep my iPad out of the water:-)

Matt Lawrence September 9th, 2012 05:45 PM

I also find Larry Jordan to be a little long winded. He's very knowledgeable and his training is good, but he does spend too much time reading bullet points, which is the hallmark of a bad multimedia presentation. He's also overpriced, in my opinion. If you just need to get up and running you could join Linda.com for 30 bucks a month to access their FXP Essential Training title.

Ripple Training is also nice but most of their training is project based, which is a good way to teach but it's not always easy to remember where they taught you what because the chapters are related to the project and not the tools or techniques of FXP. So you sometimes have to do a lot of searching to find that technique you need to see again.

For a book, Diana Weynand's Final Cut Pro X - Professional Video Editing is good. And of course there's the Apple FCPX manual, which is incomplete compared to their FCP7 manual.

Winfried Dobbe September 11th, 2012 03:04 AM

I used Michael Wohl's training from MacProVideo and liked it a lot.

For me Larry Jordan is also a bit too slow while I like Michael's pace.

Kevin Walsh September 17th, 2012 10:16 AM

Another vote for Ripple Training. They are one of the few that I don't find myself yelling at the screen "Come on, come on, get on with it!!" I am really impatient.

Corey Benoit October 24th, 2012 06:06 AM

Steve Martin is hands down the most in depth FCP master. Watch his ripple training and search for it in the app store.

He pretty much wrote the book on final cut pro. He is very easy to listen to and watch. Amazing!

Chris Northcross October 24th, 2012 07:01 AM

I HIGHLY recommend the Ripple Training series for not only FCPX, but Motion as well. In addition to being good, they tend to update their materials with each FCPX update (like 10.0.6) pretty quickly.

I like Larry Jordan's training series as well, but haven't used it for FCPX. You might also look at Lynda.com's series, though I'm not sure how frequently they update.

Nigel Barker October 24th, 2012 07:15 AM

Enough already!:-) I have purchased the Ripple training.

Corey Benoit October 24th, 2012 07:45 AM

I assume Steve Martin correct? He is the MAN when it comes to FCP!