DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Favorite FCP X Plug-Ins? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/510884-favorite-fcp-x-plug-ins.html)

Michael Wisniewski September 22nd, 2012 10:30 PM

Favorite FCP X Plug-Ins?

What are your favorite FCP X Plug-Ins? Magic Bullet? Neat Video? Crumple Pop?

Mathieu Ghekiere September 24th, 2012 12:06 PM

Re: Favorite FCP X Plug-Ins?

Magic Bullet is very good, and the Looks package is actually very powerful and more then just a bunch of presets. Although I hope they make Colorista II fast available for FCP X, because I don't like the Color Board in FCP X.

And I also very much like Ripple Training's Callouts filter.

Simon Wood September 24th, 2012 12:40 PM

Yeah Magic Bullet is pretty good for grading.

Neat Video is an indispensable tool for any editors toolbox.

David Dixon September 27th, 2012 04:23 PM

If by plugins you mean third party filters, effects, generators, etc. check out:

motionVFX - Original Home of Apple Motion Templates - mLooks, transitions, and their mainstay is Motion Templates (their templates are nice but pricey...)

tons of free things at these two:

Alex4D: Editing organazized (I like his Smooth Move effect)

FCP.co has many free things - some great, some not

FxFactory; Visual Effects for Final Cut Pro, Motion and AE (not free, but quite reasonable) has a lot of things worth a look:

Callouts (mentioned above), XEffects Tech Transitions, Luca's Light KIt, Nattress Levels and Curves, etc.
You install FxFactory which gives you a bunch of demos to check out. Just use the FxFactory software to turn off the ones you don't buy.

Charles Newcomb September 27th, 2012 04:44 PM

I've used several of these FCPeffects - Final Cut Pro X Plugins & Effects - FX for FCPX

They're relatively inexpensive. Most of what they do you can do yourself in FCP, but these make the job a lot faster, which I really appreciate.

William Hohauser September 28th, 2012 05:58 AM

Nattress Levels and Curves is great for fixing levels beyond the abilities of the color corrector.

Neat Video is very good but it takes a long time to render, not always appropriate for time limited jobs.

Sheffield Softworks Electronic Makeup plug in has come in handy for wrinkly and pimply face situations.

Alex4D had an 8 point mask that I use frequently but it seems he has improved it as Mask+ and his Smooth Move bears some investigation, thanks for the info. This is why I like this board.

David Dixon September 28th, 2012 06:27 AM

+1 on the very reasonably priced FCPEffects products. They are inexpensive, and can be huge time savers. For example, if I'm doing a simple slide show with lots of basic Ken Burns moves, their Quick and Easy Ken Burns effect can be a huge time saver over creating each one myself.

I have split screen generators from both CrumplePop and SquidFX. I'm a big fan of CrumplePop, especially since they were early to the FCPX bandwagon, but in this case I actually find the SquidFX Layout Generators product to have more features that I like.

BTW, with many of these products, if you include stills that don't match the "Spacial Conform" of your Project and you plan to use Scaling, you have to make them Compound Clips first in order for that to work as expected.

Get on the mailing lists for these companies - they sometimes have great sales and you often can get a discount when a new product is released. I bought almost all of these third party products at 20-50 percent off.

David Dixon October 1st, 2012 06:39 AM

FYI - today (10-1-12) through Friday, motionvfx.com has their mVintage plugin half price - $45 instead of $89.

It has all kinds of presets for vintage color looks, film burns, scratches, shake, roll, drop frames, etc. that you can easily combine and customize. If you have need of this sort of retro look, it's a great bang for the buck.

This is a pertect example of my earlier post - I got the email about this from their mailing list today.

Ryan Wallis November 5th, 2012 05:52 AM

Great info here guys thanks very much.

Keep the feedback coming, I'd love to hear about others experiences...

Ben Fullerton November 26th, 2012 03:21 PM

I have Magic Bullet Looks, and I really love it. Great results, although I'm not a huge fan of the interface. It's not bad, but I think it could be far simpler, without a loss in functionality.

I just downloaded SliceX and Lock & Load X from CoreMelt, and I haven't played with them enough to have a real opinion yet, but they seem promising.

Also, I've only played with some of the CrumplePop stuff a little bit, but it all seems really nice. Os screen controls and really easy interfaces. I like plugins that work within FCPX, rather than having to round trip to programs like MBL; even thought it's fairly simple.

I really want to check out the CrumplePop GoPro plugins, to flatten out the fisheye look. GoPro's are super handy, but I'm not a huge fan of the fisheye look.

Charles Newcomb November 26th, 2012 07:49 PM

I bought the fisheye remover from FCP Effects. It was very reasonably priced and it works like magic.