DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Blu ray quality on normal DVD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/515367-blu-ray-quality-normal-dvd.html)

David Bastarache June 14th, 2013 11:13 AM

Re: Blu ray quality on normal DVD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Dixon (Post 1787487)
The Blu-ray sharing in FCPX gives you several options for the visual look of the contents screen. If you have Chapter Markers set it will also create a Chapter Markers screen in addition to the Main Title screen.

It also has the option to show a menu or immediately just play the video, a loop option, and the ability to set background and title graphics, etc.

But, yes, it is a Project-level feature, so can only include one Project on the disk.

As a test I put a couple of short projects on the same timeline and used chapter markers to mark the different projects. Using the blu-ray option I burned a disk. With the menu you can select what plays, if you just play from the beginning, it plays both projects that I burnt to disk.

David Dixon June 15th, 2013 11:35 AM

Yes, I meant "Project" in the sense that FCPX uses the term - so combining two things into one "timeline" actually makes them one "Project." So the Blu-ray feature is limited to one project, as compared to Standard Def DVDs done with iDVD which allows a list of multiple videos on the contents screen.

However, the idea of combining two (or even more, I guess) things into one Project and using chapter markers is a good one. Then a Chapters screen should list each video as a unique Chapter with title.

David Bastarache July 2nd, 2013 07:36 AM

Additionally if you share as a Blu-Ray in auto mode Final Cut X will figure out the media your using DVD single and dual layer. If you do not put a DVD in the superdrive and tell it to right to the hard drive Final Cut will create a Blu-Ray image file that uses full resolution 1920 X 1080 Mpeg files. You then move the image file over to a computer with a Blu-Ray burner, use Nero or some other Blu-Ray burning program and burn it to a real Blu-Ray disc. Other than the limited menu's it looks pretty good.

Richard Jacana December 18th, 2013 10:05 PM

Ok, I've been doing this with Toast for relatives with Blu-ray players.

Biggest issue is a DVD only spins at a certain rate (as per the DVD tech spec) so yes, you can encode at 16Mbps or even 25Mbps and yes, the Blu-ray player can read 16Mbps on a Blu-ray disc but not a DVD. I just burned a DVD (blu-ray file structure on it) and I made the max bitrate 8Mpbs and it worked. Another one I burned did not work in another persons Blu-ray player, strange and the only reason I can think is because I burned it at more than 8Mbps. 8Mbps Still looks good on a 42 inch flat screen some distance away from the screen.