DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   Project Template? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/515936-project-template.html)

Gerald Webb April 18th, 2013 08:57 PM

Project Template?

Could someone please advise?
Say I set up a project, between 1 and 5 x 3 min clips with fade to black as a transition between each clip,
an intro video and lower third title at the start, and an adaptive limiter on every audio clip.
Can I save this as an xml, duplicate then rename, and replace the 1 to 5 clips on the timeline, while leaving all the other aspects of the project the same?
I'll explain, a dance eisteddfod, cpl of hundred dvds of all different kids, layout of each dvd is the same... titles, transitions etc, just need to change the content of each child. Some may be just one dance, others may be 10.
Was going to use the Burn to DVD from the timeline in the Share Menu.
Any thoughts appreciated.

Steve Benner April 20th, 2013 05:28 AM

Re: Project Template?

You can Duplicate projects in FCP X, which essentially is templates.

Or, you can create a "Compound Clip" and do the same. I prefer this method since FCP X won't have to load every single project and you can open them as you wish.

William Hohauser April 20th, 2013 04:35 PM

This is where you should look into the replace function. I have a regular program with commercial breaks where the pre-edited segments get dropped into the spaces between the commercial breaks. You could do a variation of this but start with very short gaps instead of video. Just replace the gaps as needed any transitions you have will be applied to the new clips. Overlays will have to adjusted.

Gerald Webb April 21st, 2013 03:00 PM

Thanks for the input guys.
Got back last night and just ingested about 30hrs of HDV. I re wrapped to .mov and am keen to dig in.
I burned the first dvd late last night, had a quick look, and while ok, its not quite the quality I normally get when I have control over the render settings. 9Mbps progressive mpg2 would look better I think.
A quick google suggests that I can't change the default render settings in the- Share- Burn Disc module, is this still correct?
My footage is 1440x1080 1.333 Progressive HDV (re wrapped of course). Should I be using a Project of those properties? Or setting project to 720x576 first up, considering thats what its ending up?

Steve Benner April 22nd, 2013 06:05 AM

If you have Compressor, you can send it there and have more control over bit rates.

Leaving the project in HD ensures a higher quality source for the DVD encode.

Gerald Webb May 15th, 2013 05:39 AM

Just thought id update this with what I now know-

When burning a DVD from the timeline, if it is a progressive file in the Pal 720x576 25p Project template,
FCX will create a Progressive mpg2 file for your DVD. Verified by Mediainfo in the shared items folder.
This is pretty awesome, no other NLE I know of will do this by default with the burn from timeline tool,

When burning a DVD from HD source files, if your Project settings are HD, FCX will stretch your HD image to fit the difference in the SD aspect ratio. Hardly noticeable to most, but to certain people, the subject may appear to have gained weight (got fatter). Dancers notice :)
Easy fixed though, before sharing, change Project settings to your delivery format, this will make FCX insert the small black pillars on the side and keep aspect ration true.