DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   15" or 13" Mac Book Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/523966-15-13-mac-book-pro.html)

Hubert Hofer July 5th, 2014 01:57 AM

15" or 13" Mac Book Pro

Hi,
I have been using 15" & 17" MBP for some time & now I am contemplating a new MBP with more RAM & processing power.
My question is, what did others experience when they dropped down to a 13" screen using FCP X. Is it a bad move or does it not make much difference. ?
Going from 17" (due to theft) to a 15" didn't seem to be much of a difference but 13" ?
Is this too small for editing especially for older eyes ?
thanks

William Hohauser July 5th, 2014 07:06 AM

Re: 15" or 13" Mac Book Pro

I would say that you would experience some editing interface difficulties unless you intend to use a second monitor. I find using a 17" MacBook Pro without the second monitor a little tough but doable. The 13", only for easy small jobs.

Ryan Douthit July 7th, 2014 10:58 PM

Keep in mind the Macbook Pros now have retina displays that effectively give more desktop space than the 17. I edit with FCPX all the time on a 15-in MBP while on the road. I would think the 13 is too small (not to mention they are lower-end machines on the inside, and are not as well suited to edit video.)

William Hohauser July 8th, 2014 06:03 AM

It really depends on how many windows you keep open while editing. My working habit keeps the clip info window open at all times as I do a lot of adjusting to the parameters of clips while working. Just that reduces the size of the project viewer window to quite tiny on a single screen. Forget having the event viewer open as well. If it works for you on a retina 15" great. I have a friend who does rough edits on a MacBook Air with an 11" screen! Finishes on a 27" iMac although.

Joe Holt July 8th, 2014 07:58 AM

I went from editing on a 17" original Intel MBP to my current 1 y.o. 15". I couldn't imagine doing a long project on just the 15" screen. My answer was to purchase a Thunderbolt display which I use to do more robust editing projects on. I wouldn't go with the 13 if I had the choice. My new MBP is so light and compact compared to the old one, it feels more like a 13 to carry around. Go for 15.

Gary Huff July 8th, 2014 09:28 AM

The nMBPr 15" is the only way to get a discreet GPU, which FCPX will take advantage of. The 13" will have only Iris graphics, which aren't bad, but I definitely like the performance of my maxed out 15". Completely supplemented the desktop.

Hubert Hofer July 12th, 2014 07:18 PM

Thanks all for your input & advise, much appreciated.
HH