DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   iMac Retina 5K or Mac Pro for basic 4K editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/525569-imac-retina-5k-mac-pro-basic-4k-editing.html)

Erick Perdomo November 23rd, 2015 12:01 PM

Re: iMac Retina 5K or Mac Pro for basic 4K editing- does it overheat really??

hello everyone. I want to replace my classic imac 27" i5 from 2009 which still works...slowly...a good machine..and I want to get the latest 27" 5K i7 but...is too much for my budget..so looking at buying used.
I came across a late 2014 i7 with 32GB Ram, 4GB video and a 3TB fusion drive...this sound fantastic..
I know that the latest 2015 imacs have a newer processor but the late 2014 is a a great machine except that while doing some research I keep coming across forums discussing overheating issues...I know that some people will always freak out over computers but some of those high temperatures are not ideal I think...
I read that the new 2015 5k imacs run cooler so all those reports about the earlier model cannot just be geeks overreacting..I will use the computer for FCP 7 (if I can really install it! I know it's old but works for me) or Premiere 5.5 or even FCX...some AFX- not intensive...some exporting to Pro Res and converting those videos (some as long as 2 hours) to H264...
fellow videographers who own the late 2014 5k imac with an i7 processor and the 4GB video card...what's your experience? Are those reports of overheating real or an overreaction?
thanks a lot for your input...

Erick

Jeroen Wolf November 23rd, 2015 12:27 PM

Re: iMac Retina 5K or Mac Pro for basic 4K editing

Never had any issues with mine...

Erick Perdomo November 23rd, 2015 02:21 PM

thanks for the feedback Jeroen. I guess that some intense -gaming etc activities could make the imac work really hard...my cameras are all 1080p now but some 4K might be in the future and I believe you have a GH4 which records in 4K and the video I just watched looked great- interesting project by the way...like a document of human existence. From babies to over 90! wow... amazing document.
I'm considering buying it for $3k CDN which is about $1700 less than buying a new imac from Apple here in Canada-with similar specs...
thanks
E

Jeroen Wolf November 23rd, 2015 02:43 PM

Glad you liked the video, Erick, thanks.

Shot most of that with the GH2 and some with the GH4. Have done a lot with the GH4 though and never felt the computer was struggling. What I did find though was that working with HD was ridicilously fast!

But I received my Sony FS5 this weekend and as soon as I have the time, I will start working with the camera and its files on my iMac- and that should be the real test.

The XAVC codec from the FS5 is supposed to really strain your editing station...

Sabyasachi Patra November 24th, 2015 10:56 PM

I need your opinion on the suitability of the iMac with the following specifications for 4k editing. iMac with i7 skylake processor is not available in my country. iMac specs:
Late 2015 retina 27 inch
3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
32GB memory
2TB Fusion Drive1
AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory

I am told that apple online store is not available in my country, and the i7 is a configurable option. So it is not available. Please let me know if the above specs are fine for normal 4k editing with heavy VFX.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rob Katz November 25th, 2015 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf (Post 1903587)
Glad you liked the video, Erick, thanks.

Shot most of that with the GH2 and some with the GH4. Have done a lot with the GH4 though and never felt the computer was struggling. What I did find though was that working with HD was ridicilously fast!

But I received my Sony FS5 this weekend and as soon as I have the time, I will start working with the camera and its files on my iMac- and that should be the real test.

The XAVC codec from the FS5 is supposed to really strain your editing station...

jeroen-

congrats on the new fs5!

it is always nice to have another tool in the shop.

i welcome any thoughts you can share on the xavc-l (long gop) footage from the fs5 working on your imac 5k in fcpx.

422/10 bit hd footage along with 420/8 bit 4k footage would be ideal.

even better would be a quick edit and a lite color grade.

my basic question is whether in working with sony's new xavc-l will most machines struggle with several streams, some transitions and a color grade.

if so, then i imagine a form of optimizing/transcoding or proxy work is in order.

thanks in advance for anything you care to share.

beer or coffee whenever you are in nyc!

be well.

rob
smalltalk.media/nyc

Bill Kubiak November 25th, 2015 02:11 PM

Hi, I need some really serious Help, Please…

Background: I have a Kodak scanner Model 570 and scanned all my 1950’s era photos in B & W and have them in a folder or album in my iMac, all 380 of them. They have been cropped, adjusted patched up to the absolute best that I can make them with my Apple Photos App.

BTW that little scanner is the best thing I have ever seen, it makes perfect scans, don’t know why they don’t make them anymore, best 40 bucks I ever spent.

Project: Now that I have them in an album or folder in my Mac I want to share them with my ungrateful siblings, relatives, etc that I had to beg, borrow and steal from just to get the photos’s they all had, but lied and said they did not have. I want to put the photos into a Kick Ass Slide show with Music, Captions, Titles, Narrations, Credits, Bells and Whistles and get it together into a epic slide show that you just cannot walk away from, the type of show you just gotta see what is coming next and I want to do it on the cheap.

Problems: I just don’t happen to have 400 bucks laying around doing nothing for a copy of Photo Shop.

Problems encountered so far: I have searched the net and fallen for the free this, and the free that, only to find they don’t do what I want, or it is really not free, or the download is free, but if you want to use it, you gotta pony up a CC Card number, or to find the cheapie program I have on my computer is better, and most of them are full of other commercials for stuff not related to what I want to do anyway.

I need something that takes a dummy like me by the hand and leads me step by step thru the process and does most of the hard work by itself. I don’t mind paying if it does what I need it to do, but so far everything is just one big commercial for something I don’t want.

When completed I want my Lazy, Almost Dead to Me, relatives to have to click on one link to make the magic come alive. They are all so lazy. Did I mention that they are lazy already??

I know there is several of you out there reading this that know exactly what I need and probably have done something like this yourself.

Please help me out, goona be 78 soon, want get it done while I still remember who I am looking at in the pictures.

Bill

Nate Haustein November 25th, 2015 03:11 PM

Bill,

The Apple Photos app has a very good (although simplistic) slideshow capability. If you want to add captions, titles, etc, I would recommend iMovie. Put some ken burns effects on the photos, add some titles and you're good to go. Nothing beats free.