DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   iMac Retina 5K or Mac Pro for basic 4K editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/525569-imac-retina-5k-mac-pro-basic-4k-editing.html)

Rob Katz November 25th, 2015 08:58 AM

Re: iMac Retina 5K or Mac Pro for basic 4K editing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf (Post 1903587)
Glad you liked the video, Erick, thanks.

Shot most of that with the GH2 and some with the GH4. Have done a lot with the GH4 though and never felt the computer was struggling. What I did find though was that working with HD was ridicilously fast!

But I received my Sony FS5 this weekend and as soon as I have the time, I will start working with the camera and its files on my iMac- and that should be the real test.

The XAVC codec from the FS5 is supposed to really strain your editing station...

jeroen-

congrats on the new fs5!

it is always nice to have another tool in the shop.

i welcome any thoughts you can share on the xavc-l (long gop) footage from the fs5 working on your imac 5k in fcpx.

422/10 bit hd footage along with 420/8 bit 4k footage would be ideal.

even better would be a quick edit and a lite color grade.

my basic question is whether in working with sony's new xavc-l will most machines struggle with several streams, some transitions and a color grade.

if so, then i imagine a form of optimizing/transcoding or proxy work is in order.

thanks in advance for anything you care to share.

beer or coffee whenever you are in nyc!

be well.

rob
smalltalk.media/nyc

Bill Kubiak November 25th, 2015 02:11 PM

Hi, I need some really serious Help, Please…

Background: I have a Kodak scanner Model 570 and scanned all my 1950’s era photos in B & W and have them in a folder or album in my iMac, all 380 of them. They have been cropped, adjusted patched up to the absolute best that I can make them with my Apple Photos App.

BTW that little scanner is the best thing I have ever seen, it makes perfect scans, don’t know why they don’t make them anymore, best 40 bucks I ever spent.

Project: Now that I have them in an album or folder in my Mac I want to share them with my ungrateful siblings, relatives, etc that I had to beg, borrow and steal from just to get the photos’s they all had, but lied and said they did not have. I want to put the photos into a Kick Ass Slide show with Music, Captions, Titles, Narrations, Credits, Bells and Whistles and get it together into a epic slide show that you just cannot walk away from, the type of show you just gotta see what is coming next and I want to do it on the cheap.

Problems: I just don’t happen to have 400 bucks laying around doing nothing for a copy of Photo Shop.

Problems encountered so far: I have searched the net and fallen for the free this, and the free that, only to find they don’t do what I want, or it is really not free, or the download is free, but if you want to use it, you gotta pony up a CC Card number, or to find the cheapie program I have on my computer is better, and most of them are full of other commercials for stuff not related to what I want to do anyway.

I need something that takes a dummy like me by the hand and leads me step by step thru the process and does most of the hard work by itself. I don’t mind paying if it does what I need it to do, but so far everything is just one big commercial for something I don’t want.

When completed I want my Lazy, Almost Dead to Me, relatives to have to click on one link to make the magic come alive. They are all so lazy. Did I mention that they are lazy already??

I know there is several of you out there reading this that know exactly what I need and probably have done something like this yourself.

Please help me out, goona be 78 soon, want get it done while I still remember who I am looking at in the pictures.

Bill

Nate Haustein November 25th, 2015 03:11 PM

Bill,

The Apple Photos app has a very good (although simplistic) slideshow capability. If you want to add captions, titles, etc, I would recommend iMovie. Put some ken burns effects on the photos, add some titles and you're good to go. Nothing beats free.