DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Pro X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/)
-   -   OS X El Capitan and the mObject plug-in (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-pro-x/530026-os-x-el-capitan-mobject-plug.html)

David Knaggs October 13th, 2015 06:12 PM

OS X El Capitan and the mObject plug-in

I updated one of my editing computers to El Capitan this morning and found that it had adversely affected a very important FCP X plug-in that I frequently use. I thought I'd pass on the simple fix that I worked out, in case it happens to others who use this particular plug-in.

I noticed that the mObject Template (mObject is a 3D plug-in by motionVFX) which was in my timeline had mostly disappeared. All that was left were some lighting effects (flares) but the majority of the content was gone. All of my other mObject templates (and I have quite a few) were similarly disabled when I checked them in the Media Browser.

Restarting the computer didn't fix it. So I quit FCP X and decided to open mObject independently.

I went to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > mObject > mObject and opened that.

It opened correctly and all seemed to be working fine. I quit mObject and opened FCP X. All of my mObject templates were now restored and working perfectly.

It was as though I had to "wake mObject up" as a separate action after the upgrade to El Capitan.

Other than that, the El Capitan upgrade has been very smooth.

William Hohauser October 13th, 2015 07:07 PM

Re: OS X El Capitan and the mObject plug-in

Some of the third party plug-ins do not work very well with 10.11. My Neat Video plug-in caused crashes so I uninstalled it. Turns out there are updates to the plug-in the developer neglected to inform purchasers of.

Ed Fiebke October 14th, 2015 07:48 AM

Re: OS X El Capitan and the mObject plug-in

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1900458)
Some of the third party plug-ins do not work very well with 10.11. . .

I would add that there are many software programs, plug-ins and hardware that is not compatible with OS X 10.11., especially from an audio recording/editing perspective. Although I read good things about El Capitan, until I am assured that the many audio-based plug-ins and software programs work with this OS, I am holding off in upgrading to it. Logic Pro X will not "see" many software "virtual instruments" from various companies under El Capitan! In fact, I thinking about keeping OSX10.10.5 as my last operating system for both of my older Apple computers. I am currently enjoying much stability with this version of Yosemite.

Especially on the audio-based bulletin boards, there are lots and lots of posts recommending holding off on upgrading to El Capitan because of the many incompatible software programs & hardware. Even software & hardware producing companies (MOTU, Native-Instruments, Make Music, to name a few) are recommending not to upgrade to this particular operating system until further notice.