DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Poor Text Rendering From FCP? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/103869-poor-text-rendering-fcp.html)

Vishad Dewan September 19th, 2007 02:11 AM

Poor Text Rendering From FCP?

Has anyone recently experienced text rendering problems in FCP? For whatever reason, the text I've added to my sequences, after rendering through Compressor on DVD settings, and then burned onto a DVD using DVD Studio Pro, ends up looking jagged and incredibly interlaced. During editing it all looks just fine, but on a TV it's the complete opposite.

Any ideas?

Aric Mannion September 19th, 2007 10:08 AM

yeah that always happens... my only guess is that the text is not interlaced, and when it's exported it adds interlacing and becomes crunchy. I have no idea.
In any case If you make text in after effects it looks perfect, so try that. In my case, the text is always subtitles, and what I've done is imported the whole video into after effects and interpretted footage. Then the text gets a little blurry, with best settings checked it gets bulbous, so there's no real way to fix it.

Nate Schmidt September 19th, 2007 10:24 AM

You could try using the Boris 3D Text Generator, it's verctor based and may yield a better output.

Dino Leone September 19th, 2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vishad Dewan (Post 746574)
Has anyone recently experienced text rendering problems in FCP? For whatever reason, the text I've added to my sequences, after rendering through Compressor on DVD settings, and then burned onto a DVD using DVD Studio Pro, ends up looking jagged and incredibly interlaced. During editing it all looks just fine, but on a TV it's the complete opposite.

Any ideas?

When you position the text on the canvas, did you make sure the coordinates (x,z) are integer numbers? If they are not, rounding them during rendering can lead to jagged edges and interlacing artifacts. I think you can sort of preview this in the canvas when switching between 100% view and "fit to window" - the fit to window will blend upper and lower fields (thus making things nicer than they are) whereas the 100% will only show the upper field (or is it the other way around?).
Dino

Daniel Ross September 19th, 2007 11:19 AM

Be sure interlacing is set to how you want it in the project. Perhaps the project is interlaced, but most of the footage is progressive, which would look the same when displayed as interlaced?

Vishad Dewan September 19th, 2007 02:25 PM

I shot the entire video in 60i; what I did was just insert a blank clip with text centered automatically. The weird thing is that if I do the same thing in Motion, it's definitely not as bad as when I insert the text clip in FCP. But, obviously, I'd rather not have to save and import my entire sequence to Motion, and then re-edit.

Now, what is this Boris FX text thing? Is it just for 3D text? And how is it different than the default FCP text option?