DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCS on MacBook (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/104239-fcs-macbook.html)

Erik Norgaard September 24th, 2007 03:25 AM

FCS on MacBook

Hi:

I am/was about to order a MacBook, but haven't yet decided on FCS or FCE. I really like the portability of the MacBook over the Pro, if needed for the price difference I could get a Cinema display for work when at home.

I browsed this forum and got a little bit confused, then checked on Apple's site.

On the Apple site they write about FCS: "An AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card. (Final Cut Studio is not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors)" which pretty much rules out the MacBook.

Then for FCE they state "AGP or PCI Express Quartz Extreme graphics card" but without the warning about Intel graphics. And they do offer to order FCE with the book.

So, this had me wonder, as I guess the two programs share a large portion of code, FCS does or does not work on the MacBook? Anyone using FCS on MacBook?

I know about the 2GB ram and stuff, but the graphics card can't be changed, so that is a real decisive factor.

Edited to add:

I need to edit HDV from a Canon XH-A1. My first interest is Final Cut Pro 6 (versus the FCE) and DVD Studio, but Color and Compressor may prove handy later.

Thanks, Erik

Daniel Ross September 24th, 2007 07:25 AM

I love running FCS on my 15.4" macbook pro. I'd highly recommend it to you.
My one complaint is the 5400 rpm hard drive.

I have heard that FCP just won't run on a mac book. What you say does sound like FCE will run. So... what's different?
In a recent thread, it was discovered that FCP limits some of its features (specifically the filters) based on hardware. If you can't run motion, you can't use some filters like trails (or anything in the "time" menu).
So... maybe this is the case with the macbok. It CAN run FCP, but just has a few features that don't work, and it can't run motion or color?

I find the fact that FCP doesn't run on a macbook to be extremely stupid. I have friend with a powerbook g4 and FCS 1 runs just fine on there. But... not on a NEW macbook? Crazy.
I kinda want to try running it to see what would happen. But it clearly says it won't work. But... still... so bizarre. I don't really believe it.

The Macbook Pro 15.4" is plenty portable. I wouldn't worry about that. I'd suggest getting one over the macbook.

Bill Davis September 24th, 2007 10:57 AM

FCS does run on a MacBook.

Like any full-featured, complex app running on a relatively low end computer configuration, you may or may not be frustrated with editing speed and performance issues, particularly if you want to do more complex work that requires a lot of filters or other render-heavy features.

But it launches and works just fine.

And if you're simply interested in basic cuts editing with typical 25Mpbs DV streams, it's actually pretty snappy and responsive.

Erik Norgaard September 25th, 2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Davis (Post 749240)
FCS does run on a MacBook.

Like any full-featured, complex app running on a relatively low end computer configuration, you may or may not be frustrated with editing speed and performance issues, particularly if you want to do more complex work that requires a lot of filters or other render-heavy features.

But it launches and works just fine.

And if you're simply interested in basic cuts editing with typical 25Mpbs DV streams, it's actually pretty snappy and responsive.

Thanks for the comfirmation. Obviously, if I was certain that I would just do basic cuts of DV streams, then I wouldn't even consider FCS over FCE. I want to edit HDV which requires more system resources, convert for the web and create a DVD.

The three options I am considering are these:

1) MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 2GB RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 8600 M GT 256 MB. 2299 EUR
2) MacBook 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 1305 EUR + 23" Cinemadisplay HD 899 EUR - total 2204 EUR
3) MacBook 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 1305 EUR + iMac 20" 2.4GHz w. 3GB RAM, Radeon HD 2600 PRO ATI w 256 MB 1540 EUR - total 2845 EUR

What I find attractive about 2 is the lower entry price point, I can start out just with the MacBook and get working, then later upgrade to the full HD experience. I think this beats 1 for viewing. But of course, no good if it won't do for editing.

Option 3 could be the alternative upgrade path if editing on the MacBook proves infeasible. This should allow me to do simple stuff on the road and heavy stuff at home, and again with a larger screen although not HD. But it comes with a penalty of 550 EUR over the MacBook Pro.

In any case, I will start out doing simple stuff, I'm new on Mac and beginner on NLE. But I want to keep options open - I plan to learn :)

Thanks, Erik

Jim Michael September 25th, 2007 05:00 AM

Make sure you buy one with sufficient hard file space for installation of FCS and any other software you plan to run. Also, order a G-Tech external drive for storing your projects.

Erik Norgaard September 25th, 2007 06:09 AM

I took a closer look on the spec requirements that Apple mentions. It appears that the requirements on graphics cards are for ALL applications to install and run. Then they list requirements for each application:

Only Motion and Color requires the advanced graphics cards and won't run with the Intel integrated graphics card. As I understand, Final Cut Pro, SoundTrack, Compressor and DVD Studio should all run on the MacBook. It also seems that the requirement list is not completely updated as the new iMacs' graphics card is not listed for Motion.

Anyway, Motion and Color are probably the last apps I will touch, so that pretty much clears things up for now.

Kelly Harmsworth September 25th, 2007 09:25 PM

HD Space is a big factor. I just upgraded my Macbook Pro to a 250 gig HD just for FCS

Jim Fields September 26th, 2007 11:42 AM

I have an intel core duo macbook, and FCS2 works fine on it.
We only loaded FCP, DVDSP, Color, and LT on it. My wife uses the book to do rough cuts, some color grading, and saves the project back to the server. I then do the rendering on another machine.

So yes, if you have the drive space, you can load, and use FCS on your MacBook.