DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Capturing footage in final cut pro question? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/106894-capturing-footage-final-cut-pro-question.html)

Gary Williams October 30th, 2007 04:30 PM

Capturing footage in final cut pro question?

In final cut pro can I capture my footage in one long take and then trim it into individual clip so I dont have to use my camera as a edit deck? Thanks Gary Williams

Tom Vandas October 30th, 2007 05:18 PM

Hi Gary,

The answer is YES; I do it all the time because it's faster than capturing individual clips. Then, you simply grab what you need from the long capture. If you want to make the grabs independent, you can do that too, you just need to have available space on your drives.

To capture an entire tape, it's easiest to just open Log and Capture, starting the tape playing at the beginning and hit capture NOW. Alternately, you can log the whole tape (set your in/out points) and do a batch capture. Hope that helps.

Gary Williams October 30th, 2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vandas (Post 767508)
Hi Gary,

The answer is YES; I do it all the time because it's faster than capturing individual clips. Then, you simply grab what you need from the long capture. If you want to make the grabs independent, you can do that too, you just need to have available space on your drives.

To capture an entire tape, it's easiest to just open Log and Capture, starting the tape playing at the beginning and hit capture NOW. Alternately, you can log the whole tape (set your in/out points) and do a batch capture. Hope that helps.

Yes Tom it dose I will try it tonight thanks.

Vince Halushka October 30th, 2007 07:58 PM

so how many gigs for a tape??

Theodore McNeil October 30th, 2007 08:10 PM

Depends on the format.

DV and HDV average out to be about 14-15 GBs for an hour of tape.

Gary Williams October 30th, 2007 08:46 PM

I cannot get final cut pro to reconize my HD-100 what am I doing wrong in the presets in final cut pro the camera is set right and I am on VTR what am I doing wrong?

Kelly OHara October 31st, 2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Williams (Post 767626)
I cannot get final cut pro to reconize my HD-100 what am I doing wrong in the presets in final cut pro the camera is set right and I am on VTR what am I doing wrong?

Try setting capture in FCP's AV Settings (Device Control) to HDV Firewire Basic... that is the low-end default for capture.

Gary Williams October 31st, 2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly OHara (Post 767833)
Try setting capture in FCP's AV Settings (Device Control) to HDV Firewire Basic... that is the low-end default for capture.

Thanks works fine now.

John Cash November 1st, 2007 02:20 PM

Gary, I am shooting with a Sony HVR-V1U and in HD I havent been able to get mine to capture one long clip. It will only capture each clip based on Record start and stop when I filmed. Even in capture now I cant do it. So if you get it to work in HD please post how. Thanks

Dylan Pank November 1st, 2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cash (Post 768531)
Gary, I am shooting with a Sony HVR-V1U and in HD I havent been able to get mine to capture one long clip. It will only capture each clip based on Record start and stop when I filmed. Even in capture now I cant do it. So if you get it to work in HD please post how. Thanks

Have you got it set to AIC?

Mathieu Ghekiere November 1st, 2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Cash (Post 768531)

There is a preset (I dont' know where it's located, and I think it's that what Dylan above refers to) in Final Cut Pro that it can automatically detect every shot, which can come in handy for some people...
If you want to capture in one lang take, you should turn that off...

Andrew Kimery November 1st, 2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 768591)
There is a preset (I dont' know where it's located, and I think it's that what Dylan above refers to) in Final Cut Pro that it can automatically detect every shot, which can come in handy for some people...
If you want to capture in one lang take, you should turn that off...

That's in the capture window and called "create new clip on start/stop" or something like that.

-A

Dom Stevenson November 1st, 2007 06:35 PM

DV start stop detect is in the mark menu. This is a cool feature if (and only if) you're working in DV.
So having captured your long clips you can click them into the viewer and go to the mark menu and click the DVstart/stop detect, and it will put markers in everywhere you started and stopped your camera while filming. In your browser the clip will now have a list of markers 1,2,3,4 etc which you can rename whatever you want to call the shots. You can then hilight and drag the markers into a bin which automatically makes the markers into subclips.

This is very cool and saves lots of time.