DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   my FCP4 should arrive any day now! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/10750-my-fcp4-should-arrive-any-day-now.html)

Edwin Quan June 11th, 2003 04:46 PM

my FCP4 should arrive any day now!

my copy of FCP4 is on a truck in Pennsylvania as we speak! considering i'm in NYC, i wouldn't be surprised if it arrives tomorrow afternoon. oh how sweet it is!

Jeff Price June 12th, 2003 09:15 AM

A few of the folks over at the Apple Support groups report that they have received their upgrades already. Apparently, you do NOT need the older version installed to upgrade but DO need the serial number. No early word on how it runs yet.

Curtis T. Stoeber June 12th, 2003 03:54 PM

I got mine today. It has already crashed on me when rendering a not-so-complex title (my name with a motion path... just experimenting). It was the only thing running on my system. Then it just crashed. Plus the clunkiness of OS X itself just makes everything seem a bit odd. Not tremendously impressed yet. But I'll give it more time.

Jeff Price June 12th, 2003 04:17 PM

For crashing there are some typical questions -

Are you running the most up-to-date version of X (10.2.6)?

Have you repaired permissions lately?

Have you run MacJanitor (or equivalent)?

Curtis T. Stoeber June 12th, 2003 05:40 PM

Yep.

Yep.

What is that?

Jeff Price June 13th, 2003 09:19 AM

The unix geeks can explain it better but the way I understand it -

Unix requires a certain amount of maintenance to keep it running smoothly. The maintenance routines typically run daily, weekly and monthly. Apple knows this and the routines are built into OSX. HOWEVER, it assumes your computer is on 24/7. For example, I think the daily task is scheduled to run at 3 am.

If you turn your computer off then these tasks don't get run. You can run them yourself from within terminal or you can grab the free program called MacJanitor (check versiontracker) and run them yourself periodically.

Does it work? I don't know. I think it might cut down some on the length of time beach balls spin. Some people had improved success with running early versions of IM3 after running MacJanitor.

If you leave your computer on 24/7 it doesn't matter - the routines are running anyway.

Bill Markel June 13th, 2003 09:20 AM

MacJanitor

Curtis,

MacJanitor is a freeware program that takes care of the unix housekeeping chores. Unix likes to do its housekeeping overnight, so if you turn off your machine these details may not get done. The janitor will allow you to run all of these functions.

Because I'm anal, I repair permissions, janitor, norton and disk warrior weekly.

My machine has been running great since I started this regimen.

For what it's worth, DiskWarrior repaired my disk when Norton just kept crashing.

HTH

Bill

Curtis T. Stoeber June 13th, 2003 06:40 PM

My copy of DiskWarrior only boots into OS 9, will it still help any abnormalities with OS X as well (since it is on the same disc as OS 9)? I am a night owl and like working late at night, I don't think I'd appreciate my computer running an auto-task when I am trying to work.

I will try out MacJanitor. Thanks for the info.

Jeff Price June 13th, 2003 07:04 PM

Only the newest version of DiskWarrior (3) will work NATIVELY in OSX. However, my version (2) I think is like yours. You boot from the DiskWarrior disk and then tell it to do its voodoo.

The new version is faster but lacks the optimizer.

Curtis T. Stoeber June 13th, 2003 07:11 PM

Gotta have the optimizer.

Joe Lloyd June 15th, 2003 03:41 PM

My livetype crashes almost everytime I render a title with only 1 effect to it. I fomatted machine and everything has been updated...

Jeff Price June 15th, 2003 07:17 PM

There was a discussion about unexpected quits on Soundtrack over on the Apple support group and someone suggested this -

http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html#Anchor-13511

It worked for a few people at least.

Also, do you have any third party audio add-ins?