DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   What Updates are safe right now? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/108760-what-updates-safe-right-now.html)

Jim Fields November 25th, 2007 11:40 AM

What Updates are safe right now?

I have Leopard, and FCS2.

I did a fresh erase and install of Leopard, then FCS2 and things were fine. I then updated FCS and Leopard last week, among other things Imovie, etc. I had my wife do it for me.

Anyway, after the update FCP would not let Motion run at the same time, Motion would freeze and crash on a regular basis, FCP would hang, Safari was acting all Beta on me, the whole thing would not work.

So I just did a fresh wipe and install, but I want FCS to be updated to work with each other better.

What updates are safe, and what are not. I wont touch the QT one to save my life.

Dana Salsbury November 27th, 2007 12:11 PM

Update Problem: Video codec types do not match

I did the same update and now I cannot use Multicam! I get the error:

"The video codec types do not match."

There is no info about the error that I can find. Multicam worked fine on the same file & clips right before I updated. They are all HDV. I should never have update mid-project.

What is the quickest way to revert back from the update?

Dana Salsbury November 27th, 2007 04:37 PM

I recaptured the clips and it seems to have fixed the problem without going back from the update. Something about the capture setting must have changed with the update.

I won't be doing any more updates in the middle of a project, especially with a deadline approaching. ;o)

Jim, you could try recapturing, but I'm thinking that it's a problem hosting HD and SD on the same timeline. That's where I'd start.

Dom Stevenson November 28th, 2007 08:08 AM

Larry Jordan recommends upgrading to FCP 6.02 but not the Quicktime upgrade. I've gone and done both mid project. Silly me. But no adverse affects yet. touch wood - I'll be ok.

Robert Lane November 28th, 2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson (Post 783388)
Larry Jordan recommends upgrading to FCP 6.02 but not the Quicktime upgrade. I've gone and done both mid project. Silly me. But no adverse affects yet. touch wood - I'll be ok.

Just so there's no confusion on this: You can't upgrade to FCP 6.0.2 unless you have QT 7.3 so there's no choice in the upgrade path. If you want to avoid the many issues currently being created by QT 7.3 then stay on QT 7.2.1 and FCP 6.0.1.

We ran into so many bugs (that Apple still has not yet addressed) that we were forced to go back to QT 7.2.1 and FCP 6.0. We won't upgrade past our current versions until a bug fix for QT 7.3 is released.

However, we have been running FCP in our Leopard test-system with the same setup (QT 7.2, FCP 6.0) with no issues.

Jim Fields November 30th, 2007 01:35 AM

Since my Mac Pro and Leopard have me pulling my hair out, the easiest thing I found the do to solve this problem....

I am going back to Tiger.

Leopard is now the new Vista. I hate to say that as I have been a Mactard for many many years, however I can not handle the issues anymore, I am going back to Tiger this weekend.

When Apple releases an OS that will be stable enough to use FCS on a daily basis for making an income, then I will go back, otherwise I am done fighting this.