DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   New Apple convert... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/108787-new-apple-convert.html)

Jason Boyette November 25th, 2007 07:26 PM

New Apple convert...

Due to various reasons (one being my XP machine died)...and my buddy showing me all the cool things he could do on his Mac...
I have made the switch
The MacBook Pro and Final Cut Studio 2 is on the way
(Been a Vegas user for years...awesome amazing program, and will continue to use it)
Just looking for any helpful advice before I go installing and tinkering around with my new toys.
My camera is a Sony HVR-V1U along with it's harddrive (HDR-60?).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

Bob Kerner November 25th, 2007 07:58 PM

Congratulations. Although mine may have been the odd case, I found that it was best to install FC before any other applications. For some reason when I installed mine after a full Adobe suite there were some issues.

I'd suggest not keeping your media files on your system disc. Have another disc as your scratch disc and to keep all of your FC files on. This way if you do have a system issue and have to reinstall the OS, it will not impact your project files.

Good luck

Paul Cronin November 26th, 2007 07:33 AM

I made the same switch recently and Linda.com has been a huge help learing the OS and FCS2.

Martin Pauly November 26th, 2007 09:25 AM

Jason,

enjoy your new Macbook Pro and the FCS applications. You are buying a powerful setup that can be a joy to work with.

If you haven't yet, also get a large external Firewire harddrive. Final Cut is best run with a secondary drive (called "scratch disk") to store capture and render files. If you go to a site such as macales.com, you'll find a lot of good and affordable choices. Other than that, you probably have everything you need to get started!

- Martin

Jason Boyette November 26th, 2007 09:30 AM

I have a firewire 400 external drive (500 gb)...is it worth getting a firewire 800 drive, or can I get by with the 400?
I am editing HD

Thanks
Jason

Mike Peter Reed November 26th, 2007 09:32 AM

depending on the work you do, you may find Perian useful-
http://www.perian.org/

Chuck Fadely November 26th, 2007 08:39 PM

I've been teaching some newbies lately. A couple of things trip them up everytime:

1) When you change settings in Final Cut, they don't take effect until you open a new project - it won't change the project you already have open.

2) When you start a new project, always save it BEFORE you start capturing. Otherwise you'll end up with untitled media files.

3) Which brings us to media management. It is critical you read and understand the manual about where projects, media files (capture scratch), and render files end up when you work in Final Cut. Final Cut assumes you know what you're doing and doesn't put everything in one place. If you want a whole project on an external drive, for example, there are a bunch of settings you have to change to get everything on there. The project file you 'save as' is just a small set of instructions. The media files go where they're set to go in a settings panel, not where you 'save as.'

The suggestion of lynda.com (with a "y", not an "i") for training is a good one.

Re: your Sony. I think the DR60 captures in m2t files, which aren't drag and drop in Final Cut. You'll need to convert 'em.

A few utilities you can't live without: Visual Hub; VLC; and MPEGstreamclip. Perian is useful but the current version conflicts with Quicktime 7.3.

Oh, and a bit of philosophy advice: In the Windows world, updates are usually security or bug fixes and you can run updates without thinking too much. In OS X, updates often change core features, because a lot of what Macs do is built into the operating system. If you're using a Mac for a living, don't run updates until you're confident you really need it and it won't break your setup. Macintouch.com is a good place to check reader reports on new software updates.

You'll love it!

Martin Pauly November 27th, 2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Boyette (Post 782019)
I have a firewire 400 external drive (500 gb)...is it worth getting a firewire 800 drive, or can I get by with the 400?
I am editing HD

Thanks
Jason

Jason,

with your HVR-V1U, you'll most likely be capturing HDV. FireWire 400 is fast enough for that, but the faster 800 units can often be found for more or less the same price. With more demanding codecs in mind that you may want to use in the future, or for things such as milticam editing, it would make sense to get a faster drive.

So, if you can get a bargain deal for a 400 drive, go for it because it'll be fast enough for basic HDV editing. Otherwise, I'd go for the faster one.

- Martin

Jason Boyette November 28th, 2007 11:09 AM

It arrived!

The FedEX man brought me the glorious package yesterday. From China to NC in only 3 days!!!

MacBook Pro...with guess what
LEOPARD was already Installed!!! Yes I said it...Mac Book Pro with Leopard already on it!
I turned it on and boom...there it was.
So far so good, thanks for all the suggestions...I'll take all I can get!

Jason

Ron Priest November 29th, 2007 11:17 AM

I'm new to Mac also!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Boyette (Post 783518)
The FedEX man brought me the glorious package yesterday. From China to NC in only 3 days!!!

MacBook Pro...with guess what
LEOPARD was already Installed!!! Yes I said it...Mac Book Pro with Leopard already on it!
I turned it on and boom...there it was.
So far so good, thanks for all the suggestions...I'll take all I can get!

Jason

Hi Jason, I'll be looking for a follow-up from you. I just ordered my MacPro Tuesday, I've never used a Mac before, I'm switching over from a PC and Adobe Premiere Pro so I can relate to your excitement!

Paul Cronin November 29th, 2007 11:35 AM

One month now on my Mac Pro and one day on my Macbook Pro after 20 years on PC.

I have found the Mac OS very easy to understand.
The spotlight search in Preferences for instant is excellent.
The Dock is nice to use.
Customizing the interface is easy.
Security is a blessing so now my edit machine goes online.
Software:
Coming from Avid Liquid to FCS2 has been easy.
Final Cut is full of great features and fast to learn when using Lynda.com.
I have not had a chance to explore the rest of FCS2 since I am doing two jobs in FC.
Adobe Production Suite has been sitting. Once the two jobs are out the door I will have a week to explore and dive into more software.

Make sure to check this out on the Apple site.
www.apple.com/getamac/movetomac/ipod.html
If you own an ipod this is a fast easy way to transfer files and folders from the PC to the Mac. Just found this today.

By the way I purchased both with Tiger since there are a few bugs with Leopard. I have Leopard on disk for both but will wait till the bugs are out.

Jason Boyette November 29th, 2007 11:40 PM

Help...already

I think I've already messed up...
After installing Final Cut Studio...and Updating it...yes what was I thinking...it was late and I just clicked the button...
I decided to go film my buddies concert tonight...I get home fire up the MacBook Pro, get the camera ready and I go to click on Final Cut Pro...and it laughs at me, will not open. Opening screen comes on like it's fixin to Open, then nothing....restarted, tried with my camera plugged in via firewire, tried without, changed settings on camera, blah blah blah, nothing...please tell me I did something wrong!

Tried deleting final cut preferences (Not sure I even played around in final cut to set preferences but I read I should do that) that didn't work either (I may not have deleted the right preferences)

Plugged the camera into the HDMI on the TV...footage looks great, just wish I could start editing it!

if anybody's awake please help!
Jason

Jason Boyette November 30th, 2007 06:49 AM

update

Took the same camera to school where I also installed Final Cut Pro on this week...did the same things I did on my Mac Book Pro, and boom, worked like a charm.
Welcome for suggestions
Jason