DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Sequence VS Nesting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/114102-sequence-vs-nesting.html)

Jay Kavi February 6th, 2008 02:43 AM

Sequence VS Nesting

Hey Folks,

So I usually cut in FCP

For the longest time i would simply edit projects in one single timeline (10-20 minute shorts), but eventually that got old. Early last year i started editing each scene of a project in a seperate sequence in then adding them together for the complete film. Recently a friend of mine introduced me to "nesting" clips together. Are there any benefits to nesting files together instead of cutting them together in a seperate sequence?

- Jay

Chris Harris February 6th, 2008 02:56 AM

I don't really see the point in that. It seems like the same amount of work to me. The only time I nest is when I'm putting together different projects I've done in the past.

If there is a good reason though, I'd love to hear it. Maybe someone else could chime in?

Eric Dyer February 6th, 2008 04:20 AM

Nesting FX/ Scenes

try adding a blur edges around an entire quad split screen effect. It will put blur around all 4 shots. If you nest it, the blur will be around the entire frame of video; as oppose to all shots in the frame.

Typically long-form scenes are edited in individual sequences as well, and later nested in a master timeline. Hope this helps.

*e

Mike Hanlon February 6th, 2008 04:10 PM

I use nesting only when compositing tracks and adding certain effects to the whole, as described by Eric. For example, I may have a composite of video tracks that I need to apply an affect to such that I want the affect to be applied to the composite as a whole (as if it was a single track). Something as simple as fading in/out can benefit from nesting a composite this way because you usually get different (pronounced "bad") results fading composited tracks individually than when you do when done as a nested sequence. Theoretically you could put your composite into a "regular" sequence to achieve the same result.

I use sequences to break up longer pieces into manageable parts, again, as Eric describes.

Mike.

William Hohauser February 6th, 2008 06:23 PM

Very complex long form projects can be better managed if you edit in "chapters". Sort of like reels in feature films. This way problems can be isolated within sequences. I try to make sure that the breakpoints between chapters is an easy cut or a fade out of some sort. Motion pictures still use this method.

There are a few drawbacks. Changing the length of a chapter can cause problems with the master sequence. Shortening usually is fine but lengthening a sequence can actually crash the program. Putting nested sequences on separate tracks can prevent this. An alternate method is to create reference QuickTime files from each chapter.

Victor Kellar February 6th, 2008 06:42 PM

I nest a great deal

I nest for composited effects as described above. We wanted a sequence with a group of small clips crawling across the top of the screen and a group crawling the bottom in the opposite direction with an anim and titles in the background. I created one sequence for the top clips and one for the bottom. Made a third sequence with the anim then nested the two crawls and put the titles over that. I find this much easier to manage than doing it all in one sequence

I also nest my entire movie. For my wedding videos I basically have everything broke down into scenes, groom house, bride house, church, park etc. Then I nest them. I just find it much easier to manage, especially since changes are a way a life.

Yes, if I make significant changes to the individual sequences it effects the master but I can rebuild that master sequence in seconds, I just drop everthing in sequentially

Mostly though, I like cutting sequences to take advantage of the non linear part of non linear editing. Often, when I begin a project I may not have all the info I need, like dates and titles for early sequences so I can begin working on the reception while waiting for that info

Finally, I have a busy work environment and have an assistant who helps me out. He can begin working on the reception of one wedding (on his workstation) while I finish up another. Then I can take his project and work on the more complex parts of it anytime he is not here.

It took me a while to factor sequences and nesting into my workflow but I can honestly say it has increased my productivity and management