DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP: playback on NTSC monitor freezes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/114360-fcp-playback-ntsc-monitor-freezes.html)

Jim Newberry February 9th, 2008 12:26 AM

FCP: playback on NTSC monitor freezes

I've searched for solutions to this problem here and elsewhere, and although I've found some suggestions, I haven't found the solution.

I'm using FCP 6.0.2, outputting the playback to an Ikegami monitor via FW and a Sony TRV-900. The image is coming through, but it's frozen on the external monitor; not on the canvas in Final Cut. When I stop the playback, the external monitor updates the image to where I stopped. So the image is getting there, but it won't playback.

Here's what I've tried:

- refreshing devices
- 100%, fit all, fit to windo (from canvas)
- View:external video:all frames is selected

The footage was shot 16:9 HD with an XH-A1. In Easy Setup I have DV NTSC Firewire Basic selected. The external monitor is not HD. I can't get an image at all with any of the HD setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: Also, the footage was shot in 24F. I opened up an earlier FC project shot in regular DV (29.97; not HD) and it plays back fine on the external monitor. So is it the HD and/or 24F that's causing the problem? Is that a stupid question?

ETA2: I'll try this again tomorrow with my XH-A1 as the bridge. I'm guessing that's the problem--the old TRV-900 can handle the HD playback? Or is there a way to do this with the TRV?

Rick L. Allen February 9th, 2008 05:47 PM

It's the 24F. Your camcorder will transcode DV to component/composite in 30fps but not act as a 24F to 30 fps (which your monitor requires) transcoder.

Why don't you get a Blackmagic Decklink card or equivalent since you've already got an ike monitor?

Jim Newberry February 9th, 2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 823352)
It's the 24F. Your camcorder will transcode DV to component/composite in 30fps but not act as a 24F to 30 fps (which your monitor requires) transcoder.

Why don't you get a Blackmagic Decklink card or equivalent since you've already got an ike monitor?

Thanks for the reply. That card is $900--out of my range for now.

Rick L. Allen February 11th, 2008 07:41 PM

The Decklink Pro and SP retail for $600 (SDI and Component) and are not so expensive. That might make it less painful for your wallet.

Jim Newberry February 12th, 2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 824642)
The Decklink Pro and SP retail for $600 (SDI and Component) and are not so expensive. That might make it less painful for your wallet.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I guess with HD and 24P it's going to be hard to do this on the cheap. I am able to use the Ikegami monitor for shooting, which is nice (even in 16:9/HD/24P).

David Parks February 14th, 2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Newberry (Post 823034)
I've searched for solutions to this problem here and elsewhere, and although I've found some suggestions, I haven't found the solution.

I'm using FCP 6.0.2, outputting the playback to an Ikegami monitor via FW and a Sony TRV-900. The image is coming through, but it's frozen on the external monitor; not on the canvas in Final Cut. When I stop the playback, the external monitor updates the image to where I stopped. So the image is getting there, but it won't playback.

Here's what I've tried:

- refreshing devices
- 100%, fit all, fit to windo (from canvas)
- View:external video:all frames is selected

The footage was shot 16:9 HD with an XH-A1. In Easy Setup I have DV NTSC Firewire Basic selected. The external monitor is not HD. I can't get an image at all with any of the HD setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

ETA: Also, the footage was shot in 24F. I opened up an earlier FC project shot in regular DV (29.97; not HD) and it plays back fine on the external monitor. So is it the HD and/or 24F that's causing the problem? Is that a stupid question?

ETA2: I'll try this again tomorrow with my XH-A1 as the bridge. I'm guessing that's the problem--the old TRV-900 can handle the HD playback? Or is there a way to do this with the TRV?

I have a similar problem but with external monitoring through the second DVI port to a Dell 1920x1200 23 inch monitor. Shot in 30f from Canon XHA1.

On playback though both the canvas monitor and external full screen monitor show freezes and update when you stop playback from timeline. I have "All Frames" selected, etc. etc.

I'm editing on a Quad Core MAC with Nvidia 256Mb 7600 and 8 Gb of memory and a G-Tech raid.

Any ideas???

Cheers...

Peter Newsom February 14th, 2008 09:44 AM

I was having similar problems using full screen playback on my MBP. The solution for me was to go to:

Preferences/(Audio/Video Settings)/(A/V devices)/ select - Mirror on Desktop

This seemed to solve the freeze frame issue. Hope it works for you.

Peter

David Parks February 14th, 2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Newsom (Post 826208)
I was having similar problems using full screen playback on my MBP. The solution for me was to go to:

Preferences/(Audio/Video Settings)/(A/V devices)/ select - Mirror on Desktop

This seemed to solve the freeze frame issue. Hope it works for you.

Peter

I guess that will work for a single monitor setup. It seems a waste that I can't use the other 23 inch monitor.

I'll give it a try.