DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCS2 and Macbook (non pro) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/114756-fcs2-macbook-non-pro.html)

Jeff Stevens February 13th, 2008 05:51 PM

FCS2 and Macbook (non pro)

I bought a 2.1ghz dual core Macbook last summer and maxed out the ram to 2ghz. I bought it not to do video editing but more to see if I liked the Mac OSX. I liked it a lot. So much so that I switched my Photoshop license over (Adobe lets you do it once). Now that I have gotten good with iMovieHD, I bought FCS2. It arrived today, but when I was looking for some info I stumbled upon the fact that "technically" it's not compatible with my computer because of my 64mb graphics accelerator. I have not tore the shrink wrap off my FCS2 so I'm pretty sure I can return it, but I'm pretty bummed that my $1600 laptop can't run FCS2.

Has anyone run all 6 of Studio's components on a Macbook that has the 64mb graphics accelerator? Did all the programs work fine. I don't want to only use have of a program.

Mike Barber February 13th, 2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Stevens (Post 825903)
... I stumbled upon the fact that "technically" it's not compatible with my computer because of my 64mb graphics accelerator. I have not tore the shrink wrap off my FCS2 so I'm pretty sure I can return it, but I'm pretty bummed that my $1600 laptop can't run FCS2.

ALWAYS check the system requirements before purchasing... ALWAYS. :-)

I can't say if it will or won't run for certain... but if it can, it will likely choke on the more intensive apps. Glancing at the FCS2 requirements (http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html), I would be amazed if you had much success. The Macbooks aren't "pro" level laptops. Plain and simple.

Since you havn't opened it yet, may I suggest you consider returning it and grabbing Final Cut Express. It is a giant step up from iMovie, costs ~$1,100 less, and should run just fine on your Macbook (http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html).

Dom Stevenson February 14th, 2008 02:35 AM

Mikes advice is good.
Final Cut Pro will run fine on the machine but you'll struggle with some of the other apps like motion, Color etc.

FCexpress is very good value and will do everything and more you're likely to need.

Mike Barber February 14th, 2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson (Post 826099)
Mikes advice is good.
Final Cut Pro will run fine on the machine but you'll struggle with some of the other apps like motion, Color etc.

FCexpress is very good value and will do everything and more you're likely to need.

And now that I think of it, if it's a 64mb graphics card, chances are Motion and Color won't even allow themselves to be installed. My PowerMac is a dinosaur and when I installed the FCS1 suite, Motion wouldn't even run through the installation. It did a system check and said "no way, man. I can't run on this dinosaur. don't waste my !@*&^ time with an install, loser." I'm paraphrasing, of course. The actual message was much more polite. ;-}D

I think you'll be very happy with FCE4 and an extra $1k to spend on whatever accessories you need (external drive or a 24" Apple Cinema HD display, for example).

Jeff Stevens February 14th, 2008 09:21 AM

I looked at fcp express. But honestly I know how I am, I always get frustrated by limitations. When I started in Photoshop, I bought elements then ended up buying the full Photoshop, and I'm glad I did because I know photoshop very well. I sort of felt the same way with FCP. I thought I might be better to just get the best program an learn it.

Thanks for you help.

Mike Barber February 14th, 2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Stevens (Post 826201)
I looked at fcp express. But honestly I know how I am, I always get frustrated by limitations. When I started in Photoshop, I bought elements then ended up buying the full Photoshop, and I'm glad I did because I know photoshop very well. I sort of felt the same way with FCP. I thought I might be better to just get the best program an learn it.

Thanks for you help.

I'm the same way, so I know what you mean. But to be realistic, you either need to upgrade your machine, or downgrade your software. FCE is a very good way to learn the Final Cut system, so look at it as a step towards eventually going to FCP. Once you've mastered FCE (and there is always more to learn than you think there is... it's not a small step up from iMovie, it's a giant leap... iMovie is a kid's toy), then you will be in a great place to go up to the Pro app, and hopefully you'll have earned some money from using Express to get you there.

Think of it as an investment in a stepping stone to bigger and better.

John Stakes February 14th, 2008 09:34 AM

Just sell the macbook and get the macbook pro. You are like me, got to have the best, and efficiency is a must. Even if you could get FC alone to run, it will take you 10 minutes to do something that should take 2.

JS