DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   difference between avidDV running on mac or pc? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/11616-difference-between-aviddv-running-mac-pc.html)

David Slingerland July 4th, 2003 08:20 AM

difference between avidDV running on mac or pc?

hello everybody I have a simple question for you users out there.
I would like to start editing on avidDV, because I think in the future there will be a lot of demand for it.(i already do some editing on FCP) I would like to do it on a mac. Is there any difference between the platforms while running AvidDV? is there much difference, setup layout etc... can you work on one and then other should not be a problem.? because most people I know run it on a pc, but I have never seen it on a mac.

Richard Alvarez July 4th, 2003 02:24 PM

Almost no difference between the interface. WIth the exception of the "control" and "mac" keys... it's pretty much the same.

David Slingerland July 5th, 2003 07:30 AM

thanks for that info..now i will surely get the 1.25 single processor i think because it goes for such a good price. Do you know anywhere on internet i could get some independent benchmark tests between the single and dual processor? just to see the the difference isnt to great...

Richard Alvarez July 5th, 2003 07:48 AM

The results of an old Mac vds PC benchmark dual can be found at.

www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07/cw.macvspc2.html

Be forewarned, Macs suffer greatly by comparison in this dual.

Avid is about to release XpressDVpro... which utilizes dual xeons to a greater extent, expecially if you are going to purchas the Digital Nonlinnear Accellerator MOJO.

Visit www.avid.com for more info.

David Slingerland July 5th, 2003 08:02 AM

actually i meant the difference between a dual and single mac processor. My vendor told me that they will deliver the single with os 9 and osx so i can keep my old programs.. the dual has better render capabilities but he said that under classic really heavy programs like photoshop and macromedia will not run well.. what do you think?

Jeff Donald July 5th, 2003 08:31 AM

I would get the dual processor and run OS X when possible. Most programs will run in Classic. Dual's will stay competitive preference wise for much longer. I do all by editing on a 3 year old dual 450 and none of my clients object to the speed (or lack there of). It's all about work flow and it performs most functions in RT or near RT. Drawbacks are extended rendering times with Magic Bullet and programs that require heavy rendering. If you're just cutting scenes a dual will last several years. Myself, after 3 years I'm ready for a new G5 and will purchase one between August and early next year.

David Slingerland July 5th, 2003 08:44 AM

I think you are right jeff i will go for the dual 1.25 because it will remain a reasonable fast computer even in the future. Furthermore i will network it
with a cheap pc so i can keep connecting to other pc
what do you think of this monitor, its cheap and i wonder if it will do..
17" Iiyama VMP413 / HM703UTA Diamondtron M2
Scherm : 17" (16" viewable image size) 100% Plat Diamondtron M2
* Pitch : 0,25mm (AG Pitch)
* Maximale resolutie : 1600x1200 @ 76 Hz
* Garantie : 3 jaar on-site

thanks

Curtis T. Stoeber July 5th, 2003 05:25 PM

I have a dual 1Ghz and there are no problems running OS 9 stuffs. I NEVER use Classic though, I actually boot up into the real Mac OS 9 instead of the emulated Classic hack that is in OS X. Some apps like Ray Dream Studio Pro 5 for OS 9 (an old program) do take advantage of dual processors automatically, and sometimes it just goes too fast for itself and it'll crash. Rare, but it happens. That's the only program I've seen problems with.

David Slingerland July 6th, 2003 06:37 AM

thanks Curtis,

but that is just it. The new 1.25 dual doesnt come with os9 but only with osx and i wonder if i should install my own version of os9 or try using classic..

Curtis T. Stoeber July 6th, 2003 06:52 PM

I was under the impression that all the G4's could boot into OS 9 and is listed as a feature when you try to buy a computer from Apple online.