DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Adios Premiere (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/11709-adios-premiere.html)

Jeff Price July 7th, 2003 09:50 AM

Adios Premiere

Adobe has released a new version of Premiere for Windows and has stopped development of Premiere for the Mac platform. One less editing choice for the Mac.

Wonder what will happen to AE?

Worse, whether they will continue with Photoshop!

K. Forman July 7th, 2003 10:00 AM

Apparently, it is only for XP. That lets me out, as I have Win2K, and won't switch.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 10:30 AM

What do you guys need Premiere for anyway- you guys have the ALMIGHTY "FCP"! :)

No way Adobe will do that with After Effects- they'd be losing a large market. At least lets hope not.

Jeff Price July 7th, 2003 11:06 AM

FCP and Avid, but it might keep some people from switching because they don't want to learn a new program. There are advantages to being able to work cross-platform. Apple realizes there is a need and apparently Panther will allow reading and writing from NTFS partitions. This will make it a lot easier to use an external drive to swap data.

Imran Zaidi July 7th, 2003 11:46 AM

I've just gotten into the switch from Premiere to Vegas, and with what I've seen so far, Premiere 7 will have to do a whole hell of a lot to impress me away from Vegas. Premiere 6.5 is starting to seem more and more like a hammer and chisel the further into Vegas I get.

So I say, Adios Premiere anyway.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 12:03 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Imran Zaidi :
So I say, Adios Premiere anyway. -->>>

Amen.

Join the club man- I made the switch from Premiere to Vegas due to the overwhelming number of members that had made this exact switch. I was curious out of all the NLEs out there why, exactly, Premiere users were specifically choosing Vegas to move to. After using it I found out why.
*sorry...a bit OT*

Jeff Price July 7th, 2003 01:27 PM

Actually, Adobe has already answered the AE question when they announced the forthcoming AE 6 as being for Win and OSX. They have also been reported as saying Photoshop 8 for the Mac will be OSX only.

Where I think they made the mistake on Premiere was not in stopping development for the Mac but in not making the Mac version more generic to Unix so it could have run on the Mac or in Linux.

Glen Elliott July 7th, 2003 02:08 PM

Photoshop 8 ONLY for OSX?! Your kidding right?!

Jeff Price July 7th, 2003 03:11 PM

What I said was that the _Mac_ version of Photoshop 8 is rumored to be OS X only. I have no idea what the PC version will run on (but would be concerned that it might be XP only given Premiere's needs).

Screenshots of Photoshop 8 are appearing on rumor sites now so it may not be long.

Curtis T. Stoeber July 7th, 2003 05:15 PM

Damn, Photoshop 7 hasn't been out for very long. Screw 8, I'm waiting for Photoshop 12.

Jeff Donald July 8th, 2003 04:38 PM

Photoshop 7 has been out for over a year. PS 8 will be released late this year (probably Nov.) but not later than Jan or Feb. PS 7 will be almost 2 years old at that time. PS 7 was mostly for web and design people, only a few improvements for film or video people. PS 8, however, is a different story. It will have big improvements for digital photographers and photographers in general. It will be a must have for anyone that deals with high quality images, digital or film.