DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   JVC HD-200u to finalcut Oddity (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/120528-jvc-hd-200u-finalcut-oddity.html)

Rich Rumppe April 28th, 2008 08:12 PM

JVC HD-200u to finalcut Oddity

I've tried to look this up on the current threads but I don't see this specific issue addressed, with my settings.

I have a new JVC 200Ub and I've shot a project in HDV-HD30p.
I'm using final cut 5.1.4 on Tiger. ( I'd rather not update to FC6, unless I have to)

I get communication between the camera and the computer using the HDV
720p30 pre-made set up in final cut. I can control the deck with the computer and can see the video...... I can even use the capture now button to capture footage BUT.....It takes 30 seconds of running time before the video actually starts to show up and load.......then it will load successfully thru numerous camera starts until I stop it. It doesnt seem to take marked ins and outs and then batch capture because of the long pre roll it seems to need. Odd

Do I have to pre-roll this camera 30 to 40 seconds every time I shoot something and then load everything on the tape all at once? I've not had this problem before using standard DV footage. Or do you think this is only an issue when the camera has actually been turned off and restarted........(no problem between shots)

Thanks all.....Maybe I'm just one button away again.

Rich

Tim Dashwood April 29th, 2008 08:36 AM

When you use "Capture Now" in FCP it looks at how many minutes you've set in the scratch disk tab as the maximum for "capture now." The default is 30 minutes. At the very moment you click the capture now button FCP confirms and/or clears that much space on your hard drive, assuming it will actually need to capture 30 minutes. This is what the delay is. Shorten it to 1 minute and there should barely be a delay... but it will only capture 1 minute.

This is just one more reason it is much better to first log and then capture your clips. You just need to allow for enough pre-roll time before you mark an in point (6-7 seconds should do) if you have time code breaks on your tape (recorded with REC mode or FREE RUN mode TC.) If you use REGEN mode TC then you shouldn't have any preroll issues.

If FCP is breaking your clips at places that SHOULD be continuous, then you are having a different issue with data integrity. FCP is very picky with data integrity during HDV capture and will cut off at the slightest sign of a data error. The solution may be to use the HDV ProRes422 codec for capture, assuming your tape is in pretty good shape. If the problem persists then in the future clean your heads after every 10 tapes or so and use JVC's ProHD tape.

Rich Rumppe April 29th, 2008 07:50 PM

Thank you much Tim