DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   media manager issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/123024-media-manager-issue.html)

Brendan Donohue June 3rd, 2008 10:05 PM

media manager issue

good evening everyone,
I'm in the middle of copying projects to my external hard drive by way of the "dreaded media manager"!

It has worked fine for me up til this point, but I'm getting an error message in the middle of the transfer saying that it can't write 2 of the files.

I realized that the 2 files that were causing the error were part of a multiclip edit contained in one of the sequences. Is this a common problem and is there a workaround for this or am I just missing something obvious?? please advise

thanks,
brendan

Ethan Cooper June 3rd, 2008 11:55 PM

the only obvious thing you're missing is that Media Manager sucks.

Brendan Donohue June 4th, 2008 07:40 AM

haha Ethan. yeah, I should of known, I've read all the horror stories, but I have actually had success transferring a few smaller projects, but i guess no aspect of a piece of software is without it its quirks.

so what are my options?? how can I go about transferring this 28gb fcp project to my external drive? I tried to transfer my scratch folder, but that also gives me an error

Robert Lane June 4th, 2008 09:41 AM

What is the specific error? Sometimes MM errors out because the clip is no longer available or it's been moved from it's original location and needs to be reconnected in the project before MM can find and copy it.

Ethan Cooper June 4th, 2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue (Post 888185)
how can I go about transferring this 28gb fcp project to my external drive? I tried to transfer my scratch folder, but that also gives me an error

thats a big clue right there that it might not be Media Manager. Could it be that your Mac up and decided that a few files were locked? I've had this happen once or twice in the past.

Can you reformat the drive? Maybe it's a drive issue?

Brendan Donohue June 4th, 2008 10:25 AM

ethan, how do I know that if the files are locked and how do I unlock them? Like I said..I edited two seperate camera angles as a multiclip and it is those two files that media manager won't write to my external hd.

Yeah, the external hd is formatted as FAT32 because I use it for mac and pc. would reformatting the drive require me to back up and erase all the existing files already on it??

robert, I don't have the error in front of me at the moment, but I saved a screen shot of it on my computer at home, I'll get back to you later.

Tim Dashwood June 5th, 2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue (Post 888256)
Yeah, the external hd is formatted as FAT32 because I use it for mac and pc.

FAT-32 a big problem when a file exceeds 4GB or the file name is too long. Either one will cause the error you are seeing.

I always stay away from FAT-32 on a mac for digitizing media files. It causes nothing but problems.