DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   no communication (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/12622-no-communication.html)

Gary Chavez July 30th, 2003 10:58 AM

no communication

what was once an annoyance has become a real problem.
When using "Log and Capture" i get the above message constantly.

Only after seemngly hundreds of trys does it "click" in.
No rhyme or reason that i can see.

any thoughts?
thanks

Jeff Donald July 30th, 2003 08:05 PM

Post complete information on system and software and what exactly you're trying to do and I'll try to help.

Benjamin Harrison July 30th, 2003 11:15 PM

Based on the fact that you posted NO relevant system-config information I'll assume you're using FCP 4, and NTSC DV over FireWire.

Firstly verify that your deck/camera/bridge is compatible with final cut pro by going to apple's fcp device support page.

You need to go into capture settings and make sure you have the proper things slected. If you do, you need to open audio/video settings and make sure that all the specific settings in your presets are kosher. If that's all okay make sure your firewire cable is okay.

Gary Chavez July 31st, 2003 06:47 AM

sorry, AJA kona SD card, fpc3, g4-dual 1.2,
Sony dsr-45 and 1800 tape decks in line.
no firewire anywhere.
I have done nothing different to the system than when it used to "catch" everytime.
that's what I'm looking for, maybe a reference cable somewhere, a utility that can diagnose, that kind of stuff.
thanks

Gary Chavez July 31st, 2003 06:58 AM

Ok, 10 minutes later and it works the first time i try it today.

thats my question. does this happen to you guys without any common denominator?

maybe i am offending the system with my shot choice, frame composition or mic placement. Perhaps my hand is to heavy upon the keyboard.

Is this simply computer "sass?"

Benjamin Harrison July 31st, 2003 02:04 PM

What are you using for device control? RS422? 232? Make sure you have the latest drivers for your serial adapter.

Jeff Donald August 1st, 2003 09:10 PM

If your not capturing via FireWire, how are you capturing video, composite, component, and device control? How much ram does your system have?

Gary Chavez August 4th, 2003 09:05 AM

I input into the system from either the DVCAM deck or the Beta deck. they have analog to digital converters going into and coming from the g-4.
I have a media 5-320 RAID system and whatever RAM the Mac came with. sorry to be so vague, I don't know this stuff.

however, I have found what I believe to be the problem/solution:
If I boot up with any type of disc in the computer it will not communicate in LOG and CAPTURE. Upon removing and Rebooting does it then see the 2 tape decks and functions properly.

sounds crazy? so far that is the only connection I can find as to the randomness of the occurrences.

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2003 03:19 PM

When say disk, do you mean a CD or DVD? It seems odd unless there are system files on the CD or DVD. Then it might be booting off the CD or DVD and not have the installed files to recognize your RAID.

Gary Chavez August 5th, 2003 06:31 AM

music CDs.