DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   When I set video compression to none, why do I get electrical fuzziness? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/12670-when-i-set-video-compression-none-why-do-i-get-electrical-fuzziness.html)

Bill Furner July 31st, 2003 08:32 AM

When I set video compression to none, why do I get electrical fuzziness?

I have been working and working trying to get the very best encoding on a
project, but can't get nice encoding in Adobe Premiere no matter how hard I
try. I have a bunch of photos and I put them in Bryce and slid these pictures across the water, I have one picture pop up and eventually my companies name and url etc. Plus, I added a tune to it as well.

So I am thiinking to my self, I have achieved nirvanna :) it came out nice and
clear, at least for an amature. But my terribly frustrating problem is that in
Bryce when it is saved as a movie it seems ok, no (electrical fuzziness). But in
Adobe Premiere when I export the work area timeline with title added,
slowness added etc., I get that DREADED electrical fuzziness: I exported with
NO COMPRESSION!! in video I set it to "None".

Thanks for any help

Bill

Devin Doyle July 31st, 2003 08:46 AM

"But in Adobe Premiere when I export the work area timeline with title added, slowness added etc., I get that DREADED electrical fuzziness"

Slowness? Did you slow down your bryce animation clip in premiere? Anything that's played at a lower speed than it was intended to in premiere tends not to be the sharpest, clearest thing. If that's the problem then I would go back into bryce and slow down my animation there, re-export, re-import in premiere and do your thing sans adjusting the speed of the clip. Hope this solves the conundrum.

Josh Frye July 31st, 2003 08:47 AM

Could it be that you changed the size of the frame in Premiere when exporting? This could be the problem, but its just a guess. You would have to post a pic of what the problem looks like, as well as describe the video settings (not just the compression) you used.

Bill Furner July 31st, 2003 07:53 PM

replies

Josh

I was going to upload the darn thing but it is over 100 mb.

I don't think it is the frame size because I checked and tried it the same size.

To: Devon

You seem to make a good point about not changing the original speed and that might help, plus doing the slowness in Bryce sound like a good start. But what about these great online wedding video clips were the videographer slows down parts of a wedding, some seem so beautiful. They originally take the video at regular speed with their video cameras.

Thanks for the input!

Bill

Devin Doyle August 1st, 2003 05:32 AM

Bill,

I've heard somewhere around here that slowing your video by 33% and 66% are the magic ratios that somehow correlate with DV compression and make for a somewhat smoother slow-mo. You may want to try that and see if it gets any better, but I doubt it.

You make a valid point about wedding videographer slowing down their video - yielding great slow mo. However remember that it's video. They're probably shooting at 1/60th shutter speed and with the interlaced fields the slow motion comes a bit cleaner than the (i'm assuming here) progressive frames bryce produces. Like I mentioned earlier, if you want smooth video your best bet is to tweak things at the source; just like when you're shooting video - you have to shoot to edit (or 3d to edit!)

Also the resizing issue could be key. Make sure you export @ 720 x 480 with a dv aspect ration (.9 i believe). If you're using a different ratio then make sure to set the correct aspect in premiere so that the clip remains in its intended ratio. (in windows it's right click on the clip > advanced oprions > clip aspect ratio or something of the like) Otherwise it'll stretch by default to fill the DV frame and that could def. produce this fuzziness you speak of. I do this all the time when I do a 16:9 film and want to view it on a 4:3 monitor, I import my finished product uncompressed and tell it to remain in its original aspect. That way I get the black bars at the top and the bottom and SHAZAAM! Widescreen. You can post a frame grab along with all your settings and that may help us to figure this thing out. File > Export > Frame. That should only be a MB uncompressed. Hope this helps!

Bill Furner August 1st, 2003 07:41 AM

right on

To: Devin

When you mentioned not to slow the animation down in Premiere, that did the trick. I even compressed it and it looked ok. I even put it up on the web and it look acceptable. That electrical fuzzy stuff was gone:)

Thanks for the suggestions

Bill

Devin Doyle August 1st, 2003 07:46 AM

Cool beans. Just glad I could help Bill. BTW, do you have a link to that? I'd like to see it!

Bill Furner August 1st, 2003 07:56 AM

sure

It is not very long but here it is.

http://www.setile.com/now2.mov

Thanks again.

Gotta go off to work.

Bill

Devin Doyle August 1st, 2003 08:05 AM

Nice! Looks clear as day.

Bill Furner August 1st, 2003 06:20 PM

Thanks

Thanks for checking it out.
I love learning about video and encoding. It is so different than my normal work. A good way to learn to get better at this stuff is to try to utilize it in my business somehow.

Thanks again!

Bill