DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Printing to Tape with ProRes in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/127515-printing-tape-prores-fcp.html)

Jonathan Bufkin August 6th, 2008 12:20 PM

Printing to Tape with ProRes in FCP

I've heard that this is not possible but I'm not sure. Have any of you tried this? If not is there a codec that would work best to retain the original resolution? The original footage is HDV captured into FCP as ProRes and now that the project is edited I would love to archive it back to tape.

Rick L. Allen August 6th, 2008 03:34 PM

Hmm, that's odd. I'm outputting ProRes to a deck right now via my Kona LHe card. Original footage on XDCAM HD, HDV & DVCAM input via HD SDI to a ProRes422(HQ) timeline.

Jonathan Bufkin August 7th, 2008 07:39 AM

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the response. I don't have a Kona card or this would be a non-issue. I simply converted the HDV to ProRes on the way in and have edited my project. Now I want to print it back to tape. Anyone have a workflow for this setup?

Rick L. Allen August 7th, 2008 08:05 AM

Print it back to HDV or DVCAM. ProRes is an editing/storage codec and you need a Kona or Blackmagic card to transcode and output to HDCAM, Digibeta, Beta, etc.

Shaun Roemich August 7th, 2008 08:14 AM

Haven't tried it yet but if you nest your ProRes sequence into an HDV sequence, render it and then do a Print to Tape, you should be done.

Benjamin Hill August 7th, 2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bufkin (Post 917272)
I've heard that this is not possible but I'm not sure. Have any of you tried this? If not is there a codec that would work best to retain the original resolution? The original footage is HDV captured into FCP as ProRes and now that the project is edited I would love to archive it back to tape.

As Shaun says the HDV option is straightforward at least in theory, although I have never had reliable results printing HDV. Our workflow is HDV>ProRes>HDCAM. Let us know what kind of luck you have printing to HDV.

Jonathan Bufkin August 7th, 2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 917662)
Haven't tried it yet but if you nest your ProRes sequence into an HDV sequence, render it and then do a Print to Tape, you should be done.

Thanks Shaun! I'll give it a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill (Post 917669)
As Shaun says the HDV option is straightforward at least in theory, although I have never had reliable results printing HDV. Our workflow is HDV>ProRes>HDCAM. Let us know what kind of luck you have printing to HDV.

Benjamin,

I will let you know for sure. What's your workflow for HDCAM in the event this doesn't work?

Robert Lane August 7th, 2008 08:52 AM

Jonathan,

The ProRes back to HDV should be the best bet for you.

Going out to HDCAM isn't possible unless you have a KONA, BlackMagic, V3HD or IO box to connect to the HDCAM deck - and you'd have to either rent or own an HDCAM deck.

Jonathan Bufkin August 7th, 2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 917679)
Jonathan,

The ProRes back to HDV should be the best bet for you.

Going out to HDCAM isn't possible unless you have a KONA, BlackMagic, V3HD or IO box to connect to the HDCAM deck - and you'd have to either rent or own an HDCAM deck.

Thanks for the info. I haven't used HDCAM obviously :)