DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Editing in HD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/128374-editing-hd.html)

Blake Cavett August 20th, 2008 04:31 PM

Editing in HD?

Wish I was, but I have to downconvert first because 1) my system can't handle it and 2) I deliver on SD DVDs anyways.

However, I'd like to be able to edit my HD footage as HD and let Compressor do the downconverting for me.

So if you're editing HD on a Mac, what are your system specs? I'd like to be able to playback without any dropped frames, etc.

Also... how long does it take to compress video off of your timeline? On my system, a 90 minute video will take about 4-7 hours (two pass). I dream of the time I will one day save... ;)

Pete Cofrancesco August 20th, 2008 06:38 PM

you edit in a less compressed format like AIC or ProRes. Works fine on a G5.

2 pass encoding is a waste of time in my opinion, Neither I nor my clients notice a difference.

Jim Fields August 22nd, 2008 04:11 PM

Blake,

Try this..
HDV video to SD DVD using Compressor and DVD SP

Like it says in the workflow, export a quicktime reference movie and then put the reference movies into compressor. I found it to be alot faster than working off the timeline, and it will allow you to continue to work in Final Cut Pro while your compressing for DVD.

You should be fine with your G5, you might find it easier to set compressor to do its work before you go to bed (if your office is at home) or right before you leave the office, that way you get work done while your not at the computer.

Daniel Hollister August 22nd, 2008 08:53 PM

You can edit HD on almost any modern Mac. I've edited true HD as well as HDV on my laptop, which is a MacBook (NOT Pro) at 2.2GHz and 2GB of RAM.

In fact, before you go looking for a used G5, take into consideration the fact that the baseline MacBooks outperform the old G5's. The Intel Macs just scream, it doesn't even really matter which one you have anymore.

The bottom line: Whereas video format options have only increased a couple times in the last severa years (SD, HDV, HD, RED), computer performance has skyrocketed instrumentally.

I know a guy who still edits relatively major projects on an old G4 tower, which at first I thought was weird... but SD then was the same as SD is now, and so therefore that G4 still cranks out projects just as well as it did then.

Pete Cofrancesco August 22nd, 2008 09:16 PM

One thing I've learned over the years is that good movies are made through hard work, creativity and experience. A fast computer can only get you there quicker if you know where to go in the first place. I'd love to buy a new system every year but then I wouldn't be making any money.

Daniel Hollister August 22nd, 2008 09:41 PM

I do agree that a better machine can result in a better movie, and will certainly result in a faster completion. I would never use the G4 like my friend above. But on the same token, Apple's current line of computers, including the low-end ones, are not just satisfactory, but more than sufficient for very fast and efficient editing. Unlimited RT with multiple streams of HD/HDV is no problem on the new iMacs.