DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Can't drop Cd's video in hardrive + FCE plays video bad (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/12956-cant-drop-cds-video-hardrive-fce-plays-video-bad.html)

Bill Furner August 7th, 2003 08:20 AM

Can't drop Cd's video in hardrive + FCE plays video bad

I just bought "Making Movies with Final Cut Express". The second video on the cd is fairly long (378 mb). My problem is I dropped the video into my new internal 120 gig hardrive from the cd, I then received an error message ( error code -36). I've had problems with that same video in FCE as well, it has stopped when it should of played etc.

I have a G4 400 megahertz with 384 ram.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill

Jeff Donald August 7th, 2003 09:53 AM

What OS and what versions of software are you using?

Bill Furner August 7th, 2003 03:44 PM

What os and version of software

To: Jeff

The version is 1.0 of FCE, the os is Mac 10.2.6 Jaguar

Thanks for the reply

Bill

Jeff Donald August 7th, 2003 06:39 PM

Under OS X a -36 error is usually an I/O error from the disk. Try to repair the drive with Disk Utility. Ideally use Disk Warrior.

Bill Furner August 7th, 2003 08:44 PM

disk error

To Jeff

That is strange that it might be my hard drive because I have put a bunch of .mov files in it and havn't had a problem. Plus, a lady at Peach Pit Press said that it could be the cd that was in the back of the book I bought. She said that she will send me a new cd.

Thanks again

Bill

Jeff Donald August 7th, 2003 10:09 PM

It could be that you have never written anything to that sector of the drive before. I'm just going by experience and what Apple's Knowledge Base says about Error -36. Sometimes it can be a software error. What software are you using to playback the file? Is it the latest version.

Bill Furner August 8th, 2003 08:46 AM

software

When I receive the error all I am doing is dropping the file from the cd to the hardrive. So I am not using any software, but I am in OS X 10.2.6. As for playback, that was done in FCE.

Bill

Jeff Donald August 8th, 2003 09:39 AM

Bill, I would say with about 95% certainty, that it's a drive error involving one of the sectors on that drive. If it plays back from the CD, and only gives the error when the file is being copied to the HD, plus what Apple's Knowledge Base says what the error means, plus my experience when I've encountered that error a few times, the evidence stacks up.

Bill Furner August 11th, 2003 09:46 AM

It was the CD

I just received a new CD from Peach Pit, to my surpise it worked:)
I was able to drop in the the video file that I had previous trouble with, with no problems.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Jeff Donald August 11th, 2003 02:20 PM

Glad it turned out to be something simple.