DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   What Apple won't do, Adobe has - Get BR Done on a Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/136171-what-apple-wont-do-adobe-has-get-br-done-mac.html)

Robert Lane October 16th, 2008 04:09 PM

What Apple won't do, Adobe has - Get BR Done on a Mac

1 Attachment(s)
So Mr. Jobs says "no BR support" near-future for Apple-branded offerings. OK fine, as usual those of us who need it now will find workarounds. (Thanks, Steve)

In the meantime Adobe has picked up the pace and is freely showing us how to get it done in a hybrid FCS/PP/Encore environment, here's the published whitepaper:

Andrew Kimery October 16th, 2008 04:48 PM

From what I've read Encore for the Mac is at best a nightmare and at worst useless for BR authoring. Hopefully CS4 fixes all the problems Adobe says it does.

-A

Robert Lane October 16th, 2008 06:49 PM

As if we have any real options at the moment - unless you want to migrate everything over to PC. Beta-testers have given rave reports.

Justin Ferar October 21st, 2008 09:18 PM

I've seen one testimonial that says CS4 works for him. I'm trying to get details. If anyone here want's to try it we'd all love ya!!

William Hohauser October 21st, 2008 09:46 PM

Does authoring with DVDSP for HD, building the H.264 file folder and using Toast to burn the folder to a BR disk not work? I am curious since I've heard this is an option.

Justin Ferar October 23rd, 2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar (Post 954001)
I've seen one testimonial that says CS4 works for him. I'm trying to get details. If anyone here want's to try it we'd all love ya!!

Well I heard back and yes, it works. Just burn straight from Encore, no need to use Toast anymore.

Before you all rush out to pick up CS4 on my account keep in mind this is just the most basic disc with one menu and one movie to play.

Anyway, I'll post results if I dive in.

Cheers Blu-Ray Mac people!

Noah Kadner October 23rd, 2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 954008)
Does authoring with DVDSP for HD, building the H.264 file folder and using Toast to burn the folder to a BR disk not work? I am curious since I've heard this is an option.

Not at all- totally different format. HD-DVD is one thing, Blu-Ray is not the same and not possible to make in any way with DVDSP. Which is a shame cuz Encore is not my fav.

Noah

Chad Dyle October 24th, 2008 08:16 AM

We are in the middle of switching from Vegas to FCS. I think I am going to keep at least one PC around when when finish the switch. We currently export the video as H.264 in Compressor, push it to the PC and open it in Vegas. From the timeline, you can choose "burn blu ray" and thats it. You can include chapter markers if needed. The new version of their DVD authoring program will allow you to make DVD style menus, but nothing nearly as cool as studio discs.
I was also reading that OWC is releasing an external Blu Ray burner this week. I might pick that up and start using Toast on the Mac. I'm pretty sure Toast will import the video and allow me to make some chapter points.
Just my 2 cents.

William Hohauser October 24th, 2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Kadner (Post 954887)
Not at all- totally different format. HD-DVD is one thing, Blu-Ray is not the same and not possible to make in any way with DVDSP. Which is a shame cuz Encore is not my fav.

Noah

Is it a formating issue? Blu-Ray is able to playback H.264 HD.

Jared Teter October 24th, 2008 10:51 AM

I have had a lot of success burning Blu-ray on my mac using FCS to edit and Adobe Encore CS3 to burn. In fact, I haven't run into any problems yet. They have been fairly simple disks (a menu and chapters), but I have yet to find a Blu-ray player that doesn't play them.

Shaun Conner October 24th, 2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Teter (Post 955125)
I have had a lot of success burning Blu-ray on my mac using FCS to edit and Adobe Encore CS3 to burn. In fact, I haven't run into any problems yet. They have been fairly simple disks (a menu and chapters), but I have yet to find a Blu-ray player that doesn't play them.

What burner are you using?

Jared Teter October 26th, 2008 11:12 PM

I am using this burner:

MCE Internal 6X Blu-ray Recordable Drive for Mac Pro and Power Mac

Robert Lane November 10th, 2008 09:17 PM

Concept revisited

I'm bumping this up to the front because I've received several emails about this workflow ever since Apple made the "...no BR support near-future..." announcement.

This workflow *works*; if you're not 100% about how to use Compressor I strongly suggest purchasing the worth-it's-weight-in-gold book, "Compressor 3 Quick Reference Guide - Brian Gary".

Andrew Waite November 11th, 2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Teter (Post 955125)
...I have yet to find a Blu-ray player that doesn't play them.

What brand and type of media are using?

Paul Cronin December 12th, 2008 07:36 AM

Jared I am very interested in buying the same burner for my Mac Pro.

I edit on FCS2 and own CS3 with Encore.

I have a couple of questions:
How hard was the external MCE drive to install?
Do you just import .mov into Encore?
How does it handle 29.97fps?
Have you tried Toast 9 titanium instead of Encore?

Thanks for your help.