DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Cannot view Quicktime HDV on Windows (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/137984-cannot-view-quicktime-hdv-windows.html)

Jeffery Haas November 18th, 2008 11:17 AM

Cannot view Quicktime HDV on Windows

Normally I shoot my JVC 110 + Firestore in M2T when I shoot HDV but on some projects I use Quicktime HDV when editorial is FCP. This time however I need to have access to clips for both FCP AND Adobe on a Windows XP system and I cannot find ANYTHING that will convert QT HDV or allow me to open the files.
All I get with Vegas or Premiere is audio.
Is there anything out there that will allow me to open QT HDV on Windows at all?
Help!

Jeff H in TX

Justin Ferar November 18th, 2008 12:53 PM

Pardon me for stating the obvious but I assume you have tried Quicktime Pro for windows? Just checking because you didn't mention it.

Louis Maddalena November 18th, 2008 01:53 PM

As stated above, try quicktime pro for windows. If not, then try to use FCP or Compressor to convert the files into something your Windows based NLE would be able to work with.

Tim Dashwood November 18th, 2008 02:06 PM

You cannot decode and view Quicktime HDV files on Windows or any Mac that doesn't already have Final Cut Studio installed. The HDV quicktime component is only installed with Final Cut Studio.

On a side note there is now a free ProRes422 Quicktime decoder available for Windows and Mac.

Jeffery Haas November 18th, 2008 04:50 PM

Does the ProRes decoder have anything for me or is your above statement the final thud of disappointment?

Are you saying that I have to have the clips converted to something useable from FCP and that's the only choice? It will be a hassle but I can live with that if I have to.

PS: Yes, the very first thing I tried was opening the clips in Quicktime Pro for Windows, didn't work.

Andy Mees November 18th, 2008 05:38 PM

Jeffery

You can buy a decode only Quicktime Codec from Calibrated Software (XD Decode for Windows) that will let you view QuickTime HDV, XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX Movies (.MOV Files Only) in QuickTime Player and any other 3rd party applications that support QuickTime on your PC. .

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode

There's a free demo so you can check to see if its any good for your situation. Its a 80 bucks to buy ... we bought it for our Carbon Coder PC and have been very happy with it so far.

Cheers
Andy

Jeffery Haas November 18th, 2008 09:16 PM

Welp...I forgot that the Firestore also functions as a VTR, and I should have remembered this because that is what saved my butt the day a partner "smoked" the mainboard.
The DV-I/O port still worked and I was able to pull my clips off the device by "capturing" with it as if it was a VTR.

So here I am capturing all the material off the Firestore using it as a "playback" unit
and it's working fine. A PITA because it has to be recaptured but hey it works.

I'll give that codec you mentioned a look, but it has to be able to allow me to convert to another format in order to be useful.

Looks like I'll be going back to building that Hackintosh after all though.