DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   exporting to iphone dimensions(size) not right (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/138835-exporting-iphone-dimensions-size-not-right.html)

David Slingerland December 2nd, 2008 02:24 PM

exporting to iphone dimensions(size) not right

I made a short movie for on the Iphone but if I export it directly out of FCP to Iphone format m4, the size is not right, it is not 16:9 but square. So I figured out to first export it by setting it to 16:9 Pal and it is when played in quiktime, 16:9. I import it and then export it again for Iphone but still when it shows up in itunes it is NOT 16:9. So what i do is manual set the export settings for 360x202 the first export and then when exported again for iphone it has the correct dimensions. I find it rather confusing why does it not export correctly the first time? native 16:9? I mean i can see in the way it looks it should be 16:9 but it is not displayed so. more like watching a 16:9 movie on a 4:3 television without letterbox. Everything is stretched. What is going on?

David Slingerland December 4th, 2008 02:41 PM

Does nobody understand what I am talking about? I export a file from FCP 6 (original shot anamorphic footage) to get a format Iphone can work with. it does not show up as anamorphic but rather "stretched" like if you are watching anamorphic footage on a 4:3 screen. So i try to first export it to the correct dimensions and then import it back in to fcp. Then when I export it to iphone it is correct. So what am I doing wrong?

David Knaggs December 4th, 2008 03:44 PM

Hi David.

I hope I've understood your posts properly (my apologies if I have not).

When you said, "I export it directly out of FCP to iPhone format m4," what did you do exactly?

Did you:
a) Export as a QuickTime movie?
b) Export using QuickTime conversion? Or
c) Export via Compressor using the Apple presets for iPhone?

If you haven't tried c) yet, this might solve the problem right there.

David Slingerland December 4th, 2008 04:51 PM

I used option B. How does option C work?

David Knaggs December 4th, 2008 05:38 PM

Hi David.

1/ From your FCP timeline (your original one, before the exporting and re-importing started) select File>Export>Using Compressor.
2/ After Compressor opens with your exported timeline, go to the bottom left-hand window and click the Settings tab.
3/ Open the "Apple" folder, then "Apple Devices".
4/ Select either the "H.264 for iPod video and iPhone 320x240" preset or the "H.264 for iPod video and iPhone 640x480" preset and drag the preset icon to the top left-hand window, where it says, "Drag Settings and Destinations Here".
5/ Click the "Submit" button.
6/ Another drop-down window will appear. Click "Submit".
7/ When Compressor is finished, the iPhone movie will appear in your Movies folder by default. (Or you can select a different destination before you submit using the "Destinations" tab in the bottom left-hand window.)
8/ You can keep track of Compressor's progress, if you like, by clicking the "Batch Monitor" icon in the top left-hand window.