DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Changing from PC to Mac in mid Project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/140419-changing-pc-mac-mid-project.html)

Paul Schneider December 28th, 2008 01:21 PM

Changing from PC to Mac in mid Project

I am in the middle of a documentary project, and in the beginning I was using a HVX200 and Adobe OnLocation to capture 720 30p video from the camera. I since have switched to an EX1 and been dumping the cards to a mac and converting to ProRes422. I cannot get the .avi format clips from OnLocation to import into Final Cut Pro. I need help!

Thanks

Paul Schneider

Bill Davis December 28th, 2008 02:04 PM

The solution starts with understanding what combination of resolution and codec the original capture was done in. 720 30p specifies the horizontal resolution (and typically presumes a 480 vertical resolution) and 30p indicates that you captured 30 full progressive frames per second, but it does NOT say anything about what CODEC, if any, used to write the files to tape or disc.

Also, since you chose to shoot 30p - you've got to understand that you'll ONLY be able to view these on a computer monitor unless something in your system can do a real-time transcode to the interlaced standard of NTSC TV.

You've noted that the files are currently packaged in an AVI format wrapper - but again, that says nothing about the codec used.

Final Cut Pro uses Quicktime as it's native format. It has the capability to read a lot of other file types, and translate them through re-rendering - but whatever the actual format of your original files, they clearly fall outside the capability of your particular FCP setup to import, parse and display them. That could be as simple as your system not having a CODEC installed to read the files, or it might be something more fundamentally incompatible.

You might try selecting a clip or two and see if you can IMPORT them into any compatible app (Windows Movie Maker, Quicktime for Windows, VLC, On-Location or whatever) that will open the clip, then transcode/export them as plain Quicktime or H264, or another of the many formats that FCP comfortably works with.

Good luck.

Jeff Donald December 28th, 2008 03:51 PM

Install Perian, it's free

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

You may need to purchase Flip4Mac.

Telestream Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro HD - Product Details

Good luck.

Paul Schneider December 28th, 2008 09:24 PM

The codec appears to be the dvh1 codec which is apparently a pinnacle HD codec. I tired Perian and that did not help. This has to be somewhat simple, and I cannot believe that there is not a surefire solution. Thanks to those who have tried to help so far.

James Brill December 28th, 2008 10:30 PM

After Effects? I think in the past I was able to batch transcode some .avi's to quicktime. This was on a pc however for an Avid project since Avid hates .avi's. Best part about After Effects though is the batch rendering it can do. Queue up all your clips and pray it goes in one pass.

Jeff Donald December 29th, 2008 05:59 AM

Does your clip play in Quicktime Player, VLC or MPlayer OSX?

Herman Van Deventer December 29th, 2008 07:40 AM

Try Mpeg Streamclip -(Mac & Windows) - Free.

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

Peter Kraft December 29th, 2008 09:57 AM

I did some Google and found info about the codec here:

DVH1 - Pinnacle DVHD100 (vids:DVH1)
It obviously is a Pinnacle codec and seems to be able to handle DV25, DV 50 and DV100,
the numbers signalling the data rate. So it is part of the DV codec family but only
runs under Direct Show which does not exist on the Mac.

As OnLocation is dual platform (Win and Mac/Intel) you might opt to install OnLocation (Win)
On your Intel Mac, boot in Win and try which options you have to export the avi files
into a more mac like format.

Another option is to use MPEGStreamClip (Win), open the avi files and try to transcode them to Quicktime. I would choose DVCProHD as the traget codec as dvh1 apparently is a Pinncacle version of the DVCProHD codec.

Two other interesting links in that context:
FREEWARE VIDEO CODECs :-)

DV Video Subtypes
dvh1 = dvcpro100 Datarate: 100 mbps / DV family (DVCProHD)