DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   dlink storage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/143925-dlink-storage.html)

Robert Bec February 16th, 2009 05:41 PM

dlink storage

Is anyone using this storage unit with there Mac

D-Link DNS-343 4-Bay Network Storage Enclosure

Noah Kadner February 16th, 2009 07:58 PM

Looks more like it's designed to be a home media server than a video editing bay. No Firewire 800 or eSATA = FAIL. :)

-Noah

Ryan Hansen February 16th, 2009 08:53 PM

I Just had a quick browse at it, make sure you can raid the drives for redundancy. the last thing you want is for it to all go poo and you lose all your data... trust me, its not fun

Robert Bec February 16th, 2009 11:00 PM

I have changed my mind i am going to buy the Western Digital 2TB Raid 1 external My book studio

Noah Kadner February 17th, 2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 1013290)
I have changed my mind i am going to buy the Western Digital 2TB Raid 1 external My book studio

You should consider CalDigit or G-Tech as well- cost more but worth every penny.

Noah

Robert Bec February 17th, 2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Kadner (Post 1013318)
You should consider CalDigit or G-Tech as well- cost more but worth every penny.

Noah

I have a G-tech awsome never had an issue i also have a lacie never one buy one of those again one year old and already having issues docking
It comes down to saving money what can i say

Robert Lane February 17th, 2009 09:41 AM

Robert,

You should stay away from these self-contained "intelligent" storage solutions. The WD MyBook enclosures have caused many problems for editors who've found the automation built into the device causes all kinds of communication and operational issues with FCP and Compressor when running for long periods of time.

One of the issues is that this device turns itself on-and-off based on what it senses from the computer it's connected to; there have been reports of the MyBook shutting down during long renders or when Compressor is working on an long encode (which is typical).

What you want is an enclosure that doesn't add any other communication protocols that is required for creating a RAID, either hardware or software and, you want to be able to manage that RAID. You can't do any of that with the MyBook line or similar devices.

Check out the various eSATA or FW enclosures and controllers at OWC: wwwmacsales.com . You'll find exactly what you need and not spend more than you have to. Their sales department can expertly advise you on what to purchase based on your budget and usage.

Robert Bec February 17th, 2009 02:34 PM

I found a few different mulitbay enclosure what do you guys think

SOHOTANK ST5610 Port MultiplierRAID - Epowermac
SOHO ST3620-2S-WABC Case Only - Epowermac
SOHO RAID SR3610 eSATA USB2 - Epowermac
Elegant EB8MS - 8 Drive Desktop Enclosure - Case Only - Epowermac

Robert Lane February 17th, 2009 03:38 PM

Now you're looking at appropriate hardware however you're also looking at eSATA Port Multiplier vs. FireWire. I'd highly suggest you get with one of the forum sponsors who sells this equipment and let them consult with you on exactly which way to go based on budget and need.

Robert Bec February 17th, 2009 03:51 PM

Being in Australia it really wont work contacting the forum sponsors phone bill will kill me plus with the aussie dollar being so low at the moment it will cost me alot more. Than there is the warranty side if something goes wrong what do i do.

what is a eSATA Port Multiplier isn't just a card that has esata connection on it.

Robert Lane February 17th, 2009 05:21 PM

No, actually eSATA has 3 different flavors all with different usage strategies and different I/O speed capabilities - and because there are no less than 6 different type of SATA connectors and cables - it can easily get confusing.

Try working with someone in your local area who fully understands eSATA connectivity types and architectures or, use the "search" feature about the same. At one time (more than a year ago) I posted a thorough overview of the different types but I'm not sure it's still alive on the forum nor do I remember the exact title.

Robert Bec February 17th, 2009 06:44 PM

I had a really good conversation with the supplier on what i need and we cam up with this unit
this is the one.

SOHO RAID SR3610 eSATA USB2 - Epowermac

Robert Lane February 17th, 2009 09:57 PM

Now all you need is the right HOST card to connect it to your Mac.

Robert Bec February 17th, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1013783)
Now all you need is the right HOST card to connect it to your Mac.

We worked that out as well he said very easy to install it in my mac pro and he is happy to assist me.

I will buy my own WG 1TB drives myself but one thing i will be storing the drives away where is the best place to keep the drives and do i put them back in the plastic they came in or can i get cases for them so i can archive the drives

what would be the best solution

Robert Lane February 18th, 2009 08:14 AM

Keep your unused or archival drives in on a shelf or in a drawer somewhere. No special storage boxes are required. If you want to put them in anti-static bags that's up to you but since they won't be moving around or being shipped it would be overkill.