DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP to Digitbeta, but now I need a phone # covered on the tape w/o reoutputting. How? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/146444-fcp-digitbeta-but-now-i-need-phone-covered-tape-w-o-reoutputting-how.html)

Jim Kunz March 23rd, 2009 06:14 PM

FCP to Digitbeta, but now I need a phone # covered on the tape w/o reoutputting. How?

I finished a compilation DVD job last month, exported it to Digibeta and shipped it off to Deluxe for authoring. I got a call today saying Deluxe noticed a couple instances where phone numbers I covered with black bars are showing for a split second before they go off-screen and it needs to be fixed.

They want me to take the Digibeta clone here in Los Angeles someplace to have black bars inserted onto the tapes to cover the offending spots. Has anyone here dealt with a situation like this? I've never had to mess with a Digibeta master and honestly don't even know where to go to get it done.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mike Barber March 26th, 2009 10:06 AM

I really don't know of any other way than to re-output a fixed master.

Noah Kadner March 26th, 2009 12:29 PM

Yup- sounds like a field order mistake- it happens. Re-output your master to tape.

-Noah

Jim Kunz March 26th, 2009 05:17 PM

Thanks, guys! It's definitely a field order mistake. I'm reoutputting the masters tomorrow...once I extend those black bars an extra frame or two.

Noah - I recognize your name from the second HVX Bootcamp DVD. Very helpful and kickass discs!

Noah Kadner March 27th, 2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Kunz (Post 1034193)
Thanks, guys! It's definitely a field order mistake. I'm reoutputting the masters tomorrow...once I extend those black bars an extra frame or two.

Noah - I recognize your name from the second HVX Bootcamp DVD. Very helpful and kickass discs!

Why thank you and it's funny I had this exact same problem on a 24p project. One temp VFX shot somehow survived the output for a single field and I didn't catch it until after the output to Digi. Luckily the QC dept- in this case Technicolor- caught it before it went out.

Noah

Sandeep Sajeev March 28th, 2009 10:05 AM

Hi there,

You don't need to run a whole new master. You can just insert edit on to your Digi clone,
either from within your suite or from tape, without breaking your timecode track.
It could be a significant savings in cost depending on the length of your original master.

Sandeep

James Brill March 28th, 2009 10:54 AM

Ehh but I would only trust doing deck to deck insert edits not the FCP insert edit feature. Just my .02 cents

Sandeep Sajeev March 28th, 2009 11:07 AM

Have you been burned before James?

Sandeep.

Noah Kadner March 28th, 2009 02:04 PM

yeah I ended up doing a slam cut to the master but I wouldn't recommend it. Better off just running off a brand new master. And with most post houses the price difference shouldn't be much. Typically the most expensive part is the tape stock- dang Sony.

Noah

James Brill April 1st, 2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandeep Sajeev (Post 1035086)
Have you been burned before James?

Sandeep.

At the facility I work at our FCP system does a lot of outputs to tapes from client's drives and depending on length (under an hour) we usually just run the whole quicktime to tape over the flawed master. Sometimes FCP with will miss it's mark and your video is a frame off from the audio.

If the inserts are only seconds long and the movie is over an hour I play the edits to a second tape and do insert edits with the decks linear style. Obviously you need 2 digibeta decks (or legacy playback HD deck) but only one needs to have record capabilities.

If it's not busy at the facility it is a lot easier to set the edit to tape tool to mastering and let it ride while you get a bite to eat.