DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   OS X 10.2.8 Available Now (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/14853-os-x-10-2-8-available-now.html)

Jeff Donald September 22nd, 2003 08:31 PM

OS X 10.2.8 Available Now

Use Software Update in system Preferences to download the new version. It is over 40mb. FCP 4 users should make sure it is certified before updating. Here is a short list of improvements:

The 10.2.8 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: Audio, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Finder, Graphics, LDAP, Power Management, Safari, and FireWire and USB device compatibility.

The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates.

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n25524

Ken Tanaka September 22nd, 2003 11:37 PM

I updated my Powerbook G4 1GHz. Have been working on a project with FCP 4.0.2 for a couple of hours with no problems. (A reasonably complex project with 12 sequences, 6 nested master sequences, approx. 60 clips.)

Alan Tran September 23rd, 2003 01:48 AM

hows your battery life ken?
a lot of people have complained that after updating the battery life indicator is screwy

Ken Tanaka September 23rd, 2003 01:50 AM

Hmm...dunno. I always run on a/c. Will try it out.

Alan Tran September 23rd, 2003 01:55 AM

87% charged...1:10 minutes

thats NOT normal

im verifying and repairing my permissions, hope that works

Ted Springer September 23rd, 2003 02:10 AM

Should permissions be repeaired before installation of this update? How often should permissions be repaired in general?

Alan Tran September 23rd, 2003 02:35 AM

i repaired permissions...still getting 1:30 @ 95% charged

you should repair permissions every once in a while...i just do it about once a month

or when my os x boots realllllyyy slow

Jeff Donald September 23rd, 2003 06:03 AM

Repair permissions as often as you want. It can run in the background while you do other work. If you notice any strange behavior form your machine or software, repair permissions should be your first remedy (along with fsck -y). I generally repair permissions after installing software.

Ken Tanaka September 23rd, 2003 05:34 PM

<grin>
It does sound nasty, doesn't it?

Actually "fsck" is a Unix command. As with so many such commands, it's an acronymn -- in this case for "File System Check". The "-y" argument tells the fsck utility to assume a Yes response to any user verification requests it might issue during operation.

"fsck" is a relatively universal command-line utiity to diagnose and repair problems.

Alan Tran September 23rd, 2003 06:41 PM

apples pulled the download off there site

damn..

Nik Hanselmann September 23rd, 2003 07:31 PM

Yes there were issues. Apparently it would decrease the battery life of powerbooks by an hour (or report to atleast). It also would install a broken ethernet dealy so people with older G4s (450s I think) can't use it anymore without getting a replacement ethernet.kext thing.

Jeff Donald September 23rd, 2003 08:42 PM

Ted, no insult intended. At start up, hold down the Apple>Option>S>keys and you will go into single user mode. At the prompt (takes 20 to 60 seconds, usually) type>fsck -y. Include the space between k and -. If it reports a problem, type the command again. Repeat the process until it say HD OK or something similar. Once it reports OK, type>reboot This will restart the computer as usual. If after 8 to 10 attempts you still get a problem notification, type reboot and use DiskWarrior to repair the disk.

Robert J. Wolff September 25th, 2003 06:04 AM

OS X 10.2.8

I down loaded the update yesterday.

I can't say that there has been any inprovement in Safari. It still craps out at unexpected times.

Too bad. I used the bug report to inform Apple of this problem several months ago.

Fourtunately, you don't need Safari to edit.

Richard DuPree September 25th, 2003 03:47 PM

A heads up for any of you who might be using MOTU 828 or other MOTU devices:

After upgrading to 10.2.8 my G4 refused to boot. Unplugging the firewire connection to the device solved the problem. Go to the MOTU web site and download the current driver for these devices. It solves the problem completely so that the 828 is useable.

Nik Hanselmann September 25th, 2003 11:53 PM

Re: OS X 10.2.8

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert J. Wolff : I down loaded the update yesterday.

I can't say that there has been any inprovement in Safari. It still craps out at unexpected times.

Too bad. I used the bug report to inform Apple of this problem several months ago.

Fourtunately, you don't need Safari to edit. -->>>

I've heard that Safari has several improvements in 10.3 and probably won't be updated (significantly) until then.