DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2003 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/1512-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2003-a.html)

Mark Argerake January 17th, 2003 12:35 PM

Any issues burning DVD with superdrive?

I've got DVD Studio Pro and plan on doing as much dvd buring as I can on my superdrive. Are there any issues in regaurds to what DVD players my DVDs may or may not work on? I just want to make sure if I deliver DVDs to my clients I won't hear back saying it won't run.

Jeff Donald January 17th, 2003 01:01 PM

A DVD not playing is always a possibility, depending on the age of the player used. Pioneer is generally considered one of the best, most reliable players available today. I've also had very good luck with the APEX brand. Almost a year ago Sam's had a good price on them and I bought 5 of them and gave one each to my top clients. The clients that I didn't want to be embarrassed with a DVD not playing. The APEX's play anything I throw at them, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, S-VCD, VCD, Mp3CD you name it plays it.

Jeff

Bob Zimmerman January 18th, 2003 07:59 AM

so far on my iMac superdrive the DVDs I've burned have played on all the DVD players I've tried. No problems yet. But like the other post said, some olders decks might not work.

Ken Tanaka January 19th, 2003 02:31 PM

Apple Store in Downtown Chicago

Last weekend I discovered that Apple is building (from the ground up) a new store in downtown Chicago, on North Michigan Ave., some of the priciest retail real estate in the U.S. From the footprint and size of the steel it looks like it will be a real showplace, probably multi-story. (In that neighborhood it will have to be a dazzler.) I think they'll do very well at that fashionable location.

Typical of Apple's minimalist image, the construction site is shrouded in jet black boards featuring only a stark white Apple logo. No indication of when the store might be ready to open. By the progress and type of construction I would guess it will be ready by late fall of 2003 at the earliest.

But this is very bad news for me...it's only a 15 min. walk from my home. Please have pity and send spare change my way. <g>

Bob Zimmerman January 19th, 2003 03:20 PM

Ken I'll be able to make some points with my wife who is always wanting to go to downtown Chicago!! Now I have more of a reason to go!
Let me know when it opens. I have been out to the Schamburg store a few times.

Jeff Donald January 19th, 2003 04:35 PM

I can't believe you didn't know about it. It was going to be one of the first to open. But during the renovation they had a contamination problem (undisclosed nature). I suspect asbestos, but it was never formally announced. It delayed the store almost two years. It should be a real show place like the Soho store.

Jeff

Ken Tanaka January 19th, 2003 05:14 PM

I do recall hearing about a Chicago store, and reading that Apple had bought the building standing there (previously a Gap store). But then nothing happened. Then when two suburban stores opened I figured that was that.

I guess the way Apple deals with contamination is to annihilate it! They razed that building to the stump.

Zim: Yes, there will be plenty of other things for your wife to do down here while you're gear-lusting. Just turn her loose at North Bridge and run down the street!

Jeff Donald January 19th, 2003 09:14 PM

Title: Final Cut Pro 3: About Sync Adjust and Irregular Audio Rates in DV Clips

This topic comes up fairly frequently and this Apple Document was just updated 1/16/03

TOPIC

This document discusses why a DV clip may have an audio sample rate that differs slightly from the rate specified in Capture Settings.

DISCUSSION

Many DV camcorders and decks record audio at sample rates other than the true sample rates of 32 kHz or 48 kHz. Variations in equipment from different manufacturers result in slight, but significant variances from these standard sample rates.

QuickTime expects the sample rate of incoming audio to be exactly 32 kHz or 48 kHz. The discrepancy between the sample rate used by your DV video equipment and the expected sample rate in QuickTime may cause a drift in audio and video sync in your captured clips over many minutes of playback. How noticeable this drift is depends on the DV camcorder or deck you're using.

To avoid this issue in Final Cut Pro and to ensure you have accurate sync in all captured DV clips, make sure you turn on the Sync Adjust Movies Over _ Minutes option in Preferences. When turned on, this option forces Final Cut Pro to count the samples of the audio tracks of all DV clips after they've been captured to determine the sample rate at which they were originally recorded. With the original sample rate determined, Final Cut Pro can then ensure accurate sync no matter how long your captured clip.

Since drifts in sync typically occur in clips with a long duration, you can specify the number of minutes in a clip when this feature should be used. The default value of five minutes is adequate in most cases. When this feature is used by Final Cut Pro, the new sample rate information for your clip is stored in your Final Cut Pro project file, not in the source QuickTime file for this clip on disk. It does not alter the source file in any way. When looking at your clips in the Browser, you can tell if this feature has been used if the Aud Rate column displays an uneven value for your clip. For example, instead of displaying a sample rate of 48.0 kHz for your clip, a sample rate of 48.0258 appears.

Note: There are two types of items with which you shouldn't use the Sync Adjust Movies setting: non-DV clips and clips with timecode breaks.
• Non-DV clips: Clips that you capture from non-DV sources, such as analog tape or from digital sources via SDI, don't have varying sample rates. However, because lost A/V sync due to timecode breaks is still a risk, you should disable the Sync Adjust feature if you're not capturing from a DV source.
• Clips with timecode breaks: Any timecode break, or gap, in the signal recorded to tape results in an invalid sample count if the Sync Adjust feature is enabled. As a result, the A/V sync of this type of clip is lost. The only way to restore sync is to record the clips that come before and after a timecode break separately.

Adrian Seah January 23rd, 2003 05:55 AM

I know exactly what you mean... on a recent project, I was too lazy to do batch capture of different portions of my footage so I captured entire tapes. As I had recorded in 12bit 4 channel audio, I had to capture in two passes, one for the video and ch 1,2 and another for ch 3,4.

when I tried to line them up in the timeline (using timecode as a reference), the audio will drift in and out of sync at parts of the clip.

I checked the sample rates and some of them said... 48kHz and others something like 48.005kHz, which probably means that some of the clips are 'sync adjusted' but others are not.

My question is, now the the clips are on my hard drive, is there any way for me to 'turn on' sync adjustment for the clips that are not adjusted, or do I have to recapture everything?

Thanks!

Adrian

Jeff Donald January 23rd, 2003 06:29 AM

This linkmight be of interest to you for capturing 4 channel audio in the future. I know people have had limited sucess re-syncing by moving the file and importing the moved file. Recapture is probably the safest way.

Jeff

Carl Metzler January 23rd, 2003 10:26 AM

3D software for FCP???

I'm looking to purchase SOME kind of 3D software for FCP. I need to be able to make & fly 3D logos in all axis planes, have it key-out in FCP, etc.
Maybe make simple animations that keu out over video, stuff like that.

Only problem is - WHICH PROGRAM?
How does FCP import these rendered animations?
What files does FCP import?

Any one use PIXELS 3D?
Does it import into FCP?

ANY help would be great.....
WAAAAAAY too many programs out there and I'm not sure what to buy that WORKS with FCP...

Carl

Rhett Allen January 23rd, 2003 11:20 AM

You could use any 3D program that will support alpha channels. If you just want to do flying logo's and that sort of stuff maybe look at Boris RED. If you want to use it for building 3d animations maybe try Cinema 4D. I haven't used Pixel 3D so I can't comment on it but most 3D packages have a demo you can download to try out. You would most likely build the 3D animation and render it out as a QuickTime movie (using the "Animation" uncompressed codec) and then import it into your FCP project. If it is a flying Logo on a black background you could then key on the background to replace it with video. If the black background was your alpha channel you could just composite it over. If you need the video to be "ON" the logo you would be better off doing it in the 3D program and using the video as a texture map but this is entirely dependent on your 3D package and is beyond the scope of explaination on these boards.
My top 3 favorites for 3D are:
Maya 4.5
Cinema 4D
Lightwave 3D
Check out the Apple OS X section for 3D apps you can try out.
Also look into others such as Boris RED that are more specifically for titles as well as effects.

Ken Tanaka January 23rd, 2003 11:37 AM

Carl,
This is really a task that's more in the realm of AfterEffects or some of the dedcated 3D tools rhett noted.

Zaxwerks's 3D Invigorator is one of the best products for such an application. It is a plug-in set for AfterEffects and other programs, but not for FCP.

Adobe was packing the basic version free with the purchase of the AE production bundle. I don't know if they still are. If you don't have AE this might give you a good excuse to get it!

Vic Owen January 23rd, 2003 08:17 PM

There is a current string on this topic over on the LAFCPUG board. There is a report that the sync adjust in FCP 3.0.4 doesn't work. My preliminary testing has confirmed that, though I haven't dug too deeply yet. Several 10 minute clips from my XL-1 show no correction in the Browser.

John Kaye January 24th, 2003 12:56 PM

Photo Shop with FCP

Hi Gys. 2 questions:
I need to integrate couple of PhotoShop pages into FCP. Are there any specifications Ineed to know about, so it will be broadcast quality on FCP.

Also, I will be showing my little piece on a Flat Screen TV which unfortunately makes the image look streched. How can I compensate for that. Is there a specific preference I need to change in FCP?
ANY info is appreciated.
Thank you. :)