DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   still frames came up white!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/15561-still-frames-came-up-white.html)

David Slingerland October 9th, 2003 03:05 PM

still frames came up white!!

hello,

While exporting (fcp3) one frame of a videofile as a still, it came up white !!
there was nothing to see!!
quicktime -export -still -jpeg. I have done it thousands of times before but now it does not work anymore, the only difference is i upgraded to quicktime pro and had the mpeg2 download done as well.

Does somebody know what is wrong?

greetings

Glenn Chan October 9th, 2003 04:07 PM

Turn off Range check???

Boyd Ostroff October 9th, 2003 05:25 PM

That's funny, I had the same thing happen to me the other day! I have been using FCP3 extensively on a G4/1.25 desktop machine under MacOS 9.2 and never once had this problem.

But I recently upgraded my laptop to one of the new aluminum 15" PowerBooks and was trying out FCP3 under OS X. I downloaded the latest update. Afterwards I wondered if maybe the problem was that I never installed QuickTime Pro on the laptop. But your post would imply that this is not the case. I couldn't export a still frame using File > Export > Quicktime > Still Image and I also couldn't create a freeze frame. In both cases I got a white screen. Later, when I got home, I tried the exact same things on my desktop machine under OS 9 and it worked fine....

David Slingerland October 10th, 2003 02:18 AM

it must be something else because i use os9
and still have it coming up white!

David Slingerland October 10th, 2003 03:33 AM

yes i turned of range check and alpha channels are at none/ignore.
Everything I export through quicktime comes up white!! help!!

Boyd Ostroff October 10th, 2003 06:48 AM

Just out of curiosity, what version of quicktime pro are you using? Under OS9 the recommended version is 5. Everything works properly with this setup on my OS9 desktop. On the OSX machine I did not install Quicktime pro at all, and it just has the version that shipped with the laptop (6 I guess). I am still suspicious that it's related to Quicktime, since that's evidently what's used to make stills and freeze frames.

David Slingerland October 11th, 2003 11:43 AM

The latest one 6 I believe. Mind you I was using 6 when i changed to pro(and the mpeg2 key). Under the same operating system. I dont get it!! And i Need it soon.

David Slingerland October 11th, 2003 01:41 PM

I can hear audio under all my exported clips but no video...

David Slingerland October 11th, 2003 02:21 PM

is it possible that final cut 3 does not work wel with proplayer 6
under os9.2.2 ?
greetings

Jeff Donald October 11th, 2003 02:24 PM

You may need to uninstall QT and the MPEG 2 component and reinstall both. Usually a white frame on export is caused by a missing codec. This usually means either QT or MPEG 2 component was not installed properly.

Boyd Ostroff October 11th, 2003 02:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Slingerland : is it possible that final cut 3 does not work wel with proplayer 6 under os9.2.2 ?-->>>

The last time I looked at Apple's site the recommended version of QT pro for FCP3 under OS 9 was 5, and not 6. And it can be a real challenge to "downgrade" from QT6 pro to QT5 pro. Took a lot of trial and error when I did it...

Jeff Donald October 11th, 2003 02:41 PM

Yes, the last official version of QT for 9.2.2 was QT 5.0.3 I think. Apple had a white paper on unistalling QT and reinstalling the correct version. I think this is what you'll need from Apple's site. Read the info first to double check this is what you want to do.

David Slingerland October 12th, 2003 02:17 AM

I think this is not my problem. I reinstalled quicktime 5 but i am still getting white(as you say Jeff missing codex) output...

Jeff Donald October 12th, 2003 05:15 AM

Do you have a version of Cleaner installed?

David Slingerland October 12th, 2003 05:47 AM

yes i have cleaner 5 installed. But it gets weirder I have also a version of FCP2 installed and fcp2 does export fine!! But what about cleaner??