DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Avid DV Express Vrs. FCP4.0 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/15953-avid-dv-express-vrs-fcp4-0-a.html)

G. Lee Gordon October 19th, 2003 12:56 AM

Avid DV Express Vrs. FCP4.0

Okay, I need someone who is actively using both programs in a professional capacity to help answer my question. Which is the way to go? FCP or Avid and why? I am running a G5 w/Pro Tools. I wish to eventually edit full length documentaries, shorts and music videos.

Steve Nunez October 19th, 2003 04:32 PM

FCP is the fastest growing NLE in history.
Avid has had the market in pro editing suites for years but allot of Avid editors who have tried FCP and do personal projects adopt the FCP system quite readily.....of course AVID has the history and if you can edit on a high end AVID system then maybe Avid Dv would be the better bet as I'm sure it's projects would import into a full AVID suite quite easily- or else I say FCP all the way!

Richard Alvarez October 19th, 2003 07:30 PM

I work with XpressDV and my partner works with FCP. We are both in the process of upgrading to the newest versions. My experience is that the difference between the interfaces is getting narrower. FCP might be a little better at compositing ease... with AVID stronger in media management (long projects). But really, it's a matter of personal choice. If you are coming from say... a premire background then FCP will feel more comfortable. IF you anticipate working on a high end system like a symphony or composer, then go with Avid. If you intend to go it all alone, then maybe FCP. If you need to move between platforms... then avid comes with copies for PC and Mac...

You see, you really need to look closely at your needs, then look into the strengths of each system.

Good luck

G. Lee Gordon October 19th, 2003 09:44 PM

Which is used more in the professional arena (post houses, movie studio's,etc.?

Glenn Chan October 19th, 2003 10:19 PM

In certain areas one NLE dominates. For feature film editing it's mostly Avid. For movie trailers it's mostly FCP. In general Avid has been the industry leader.

I wouldn't go by what other people do though. Get the editing system that works for YOU. If you are in a certain industry segment and everyone uses Avid/FCP then there may be a certain reason for that. In that case, look at the reasons why FCP/Avid dominates. Sometimes in the case of Avid it's because Avid has been the industry standard and folks don't want to change.

G. Lee Gordon October 20th, 2003 12:27 AM

I wish I could, but I prefer Vegas.

Richard Alvarez October 20th, 2003 09:53 AM

I am confused, if you are happy with Vegas, why are you looking to change? If you are currently running vegas, then Avid will be your choice because FCP will not run on your PC.

In my experience, the smaller independant shops and ad agencies tend to use FCP more than Avid. The broadcast and industrial shops tend to use Avid.